insulating EZ n track for multi-cab operation

Started by neworlandoezn, January 25, 2013, 06:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neworlandoezn

I treated myself to getting back to an old hobby but The fun isn't starting.  Wanted to set up a 2 cab system with 4 turnouts and 5 blocks.

I looked for  insulated rail joiners  but code 80 atlas didn't fit and at any rate, removing Bachmann rail joiners damages end of track rails.  Researched "Bachmann  9" Terminal w/Insulation Gap" package but only comes in HO (why is That?).  Saw a thread that said just cut a gap in tracks but I'm concerned that will weaken the track and ruin 10+ track.  Atlas and  others seem to have an easy solution but I bought my track before I got this far.  If I do have to cut rails do I cut both rails - any particular point - straight or curved-add glue/epoxy to gap?    Any help?

brokemoto

I had a similar problem.  Mine sprung from difficulties with first run EZTRAK turnouts.  I decided that I would replace with PECO ELECTROFROG .  This required gapping, as well.  As my pike consists of an N-TRAK module with loops at the end, I did need a piece of small straight to close the loop.  I bought the Atlas SNAP-TRAK package that contains small straight pieces in various sizes.  After test fits, I selected two of the smallest pieces in the package.  I put metal rail joiners in the appropriate places and plastic rail joiners between the two small pieces.  The Atlas track will slide onto the B-mann.  You can put two small pieces of cork under the Atlas track and shim it up with cardboard, wood, plastic or whatever you choose, as the cork does not quite come up to the Bachpersonn plastic roadbed.

Even though it is necessary to gap only one rail for metal frog switches, I still gapped two.

Subsequent to installing the PECOs on one end loop, I learned that I was working with an older version of the EZTRAK   turnouts.  I learned that there was available a newer version of the EZTRAK turnouts that were much simpler to use.  I used those on my other end loop. Those turnouts are pre-gapped and require  no special wiring to use with powered frogs.

Most of this does not necessarily address what you need to do for blocking.  Still, the SNAP TRAK pieces are a possibility.