News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

STREET CAR

Started by BERG, October 11, 2012, 08:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BERG

I HAVE AN OLD ON30 STREET CAR. IT GOES TO FAST. HOW CAN I SLOW IT DOWN? IT RUNS ON DC FROM AC. I TRIED AN AC RHEOSTATE AND THAT DIDN'T WORK. THIS IS A BUMPER TROLLEY.

Anubis

Hi there BERG,

Many years ago, I had a similar problem with some of my locos.

I solved the problem by fitting a 12 volt 21 watt automobile headlamp globe (more than one, if necessary)  to the transformer output - that is to say, to the same terminals that connect to the track. This had the effect of limiting the current to the rails, and making for easier, smoother, and slower starts.

It also limits the top speed, by 'wasting' some of the current, exactly like a resistor does. (The globe in fact, is a resistor!)

If you route your globe/s through a simple switch, you can switch it on for the problem locos, and by-pass it for the better-performing ones.

Hope this helps.

John

:)
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

Hamish K

When you say  bumper trolley do you have the old sort that reversed by a switch on the trolley itself being operated by the car hitting the bumper at the end of the run?  These ran on regular track. I believe they came only with an on/off switch and not a speed controller.  In this case do as Berg suggested and. put some kind of resistor between the on/off switch and the track. Or use a speed controlled power supply, such as that supplied with basic train sets.

The newer reversing trolley sets operate differently. There is no reversing switch on the trolley itself, reversing is achieved by polarity being reversed by electronics contained in the .trolley barn that came with the set. These require special track and the gapped track pieces need to be in the right place. The first version of this type had no speed controller although the stop time could be altered. Again, add a resistor or a speed controller (12v DC in and out) between the trolley barn and the track. The current trolley sets have a speed controller built into the barn, if this won't slow the trolley you may have a faulty controller unit.

Hamish

NarrowMinded

Go to radioshack and pick up a rheostat rated for the voltage and amp draw of the trolley

if you used a dimmer for a 110v circuit it wont have enough resistance

NM-Jeff

dwill1220

I also have a street car set that is not working correctly.  Mine works for a few minutes then stops.  It is moving slowly at first then quits.  I have the auto-reversing feature and it works fine if the car moves.  I have cleaned the wheels, contacts that touch the wheels, and the track.  I am stumpted.    Any insights, solutions, what-every, will be greatly appreciated

Don Williams      dwill1220@aol.com