News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Great connectors!

Started by SteamGene, August 09, 2007, 11:10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I just got two old style Powerhouse Mikes back from Tony's Trains.  I can take one apart and check on how they did it and perhaps add DCC to some of my brass, now.  Their method of connecting tender to loco is excellent.  They use a total of four wires in two groups.  The loco has two wires with a male end and two with a female end. The tender has the same.  One side of each has a dot on it to show which way to connect them. 
I didn't cuss once either plugging them in or unplugging them. 
It would be nice if everybody did it that way. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Stephen Warrington

;D Wish Bachmann and P2K would do the same thing then overly smal fragile connectors on the bottom of the tenders that you dont dare unplug to try and store your locos in the boxes when not in use! My little 4 track yardis  full of Proto 2000 and Bachmann steamers because once I test run them I am scared to unplug them for the fear of breaking the wires or messing up the plugs.

Stephen

Typing with one good eye. :(

richG

I have no trouble removing the connectors on my HO Bachmann 4-4-0. I use a small jewelers screwdriver to pry the connector out. It is easy to do. I neve pull on the wires.
When I put the connector back in. I press carefully in the rear edge of the connector to firmly seat the connector.

Rich  :)

Stephen Warrington

Hi Rich,

I have tried that, I know for most people its not a big problem. But I got several problems, I have nerve damage in my hands so bad I cantfeel what I am holding like a pair of tweezers for example I have broken more grab irons and detail parts in the last few years I have about given up on detailing freight cars In fact I have tons of trouble right now just replacing a cheap O McHenry coupler on the front of a 2-10-2 due to my fingers not being able to hold the micro cover and screw driver. Not to mention 4 Atlas U33Cs waiting on handrails and new couplers still in their boxes. Not mention I only can see out of my left eye. My right one will no longer focus on small print or detailed parts. What maybe simple for some is complex for me.

Stephen

richG

I understand. I am 66 with not the best eyesight and I do not have a steady hand anymore.
It is a challenge to assemble Kadee 711 old time couplers and drill, tap 00-90 holes.
When I get home I will try forceps and see if that will work on these connectors.
I also use an Optivisor which has three different lenses. There is a main lens with a drop down lens and a single eye loupe.

Rich  :)

Stephen Warrington

Thanks Rich,

I am 32 and already feel the pains of some that are much older than me. Thanks for checking on the connectors.

Stephen

SteamGene

The deal with these connectors is that you do not have to pry them out or leveage them in or worry about pulling on a wire.  The ONLY problem was tucking the excess wire out of the way.  IMHO, this is the best thing since they started making DCC ready steam locos.   You don't even have t put loco and tender in cradle to plug or unplug. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I found a pair of needle nose pliers with a small transverse groove near the tip which works like a charm. They're available from MicroMark.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Stephen Warrington

Hi Mr. Bachmann,

I have a pair of those pliers from Micro Mark and they do help but I am still scared to squeeze to hard for the fear of breaking something Branchline Boxcar grabirons come to mine in a pair of tweezers. On my 2nd Proto 2000 2-10-2 I used  a Kadee grabber with some success in getting it plugged together now all my steamers sit in the yard for the frear of putting them back in the box the only locomotive and Tender I can do without fear is my Bachmann Spec N&W J which has the tender preferment attached.

Stephen