News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

identify model

Started by kelleyhendrickson, December 06, 2012, 06:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelleyhendrickson

I was given a Bachmann train set from an elderly neighbor for my grandson.  The only lettering is on the bottom of the cars; Bachmann, Hong Kong.  The packaging was not included.  It consists of 5 pieces, all dark green with black trimming.   Most of the pieces are plastic.  The engine piece is approximately three inches long with a tall black smokestack, behind the smokestack is some tan and gold-colored pieces sitting on top of a tan cylinder with 3 gold rings.  It appears there is a bell on the top of the cylinder in the middle.  Behind this at the back end is a black round "tank".  The next "car" piece is only about 2 inches long.  This piece is heavier with a roof overhang.  There are 3 passenger cars about 5 inches long.  Can you please help me identify which train set this is?

jward

from your description it sounds like N scale. could you post photos of it?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

James in FL

I'm thinking N scale also, possibly an American or Jupiter (4-4-0).
What is the wheel configuration of the locomotive?
Bachmann has been carrying the China label instead of the Hong Kong label for many years now.
What you have is an older version.
Look here, if it is in fact N, you will find it;

http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/locolist.php?steam=1&nonbrass=3&sortby=3&Submit=Submit

Good luck

kelleyhendrickson

Thank you for your responses.  You were very helpful.  I'll post pictures soon.  There are four pewter colored wheels under the main body with 2 small black plastic wheels under the "shovel" in the front.

kelleyhendrickson

O.K. tried to post pics but it was too "large".  My e-mail is klh0362@yahoo.com.  E-mail me and I will send the pictures to you that way.  Sorry, I really am technologically deficient.

kelleyhendrickson

Thank you James from FL.  I looked at the website you provided.  I did not see this particular model on there.

NarrowMinded

The Locomotive you describe sounds like the "John Bull"

NM-Jeff

NarrowMinded

kelleyhendrickson

Thank you, John Bull it is.  Now, I'm not into collecting train sets.  Is it worth anything?  or can I let my grandson have it?

NarrowMinded

I would let him play with it, a quick search on ebay's completed listings show a very low value for for seperate John Bull items.

Mint in box averages $40-$60

NM-Jeff

http://www.ebay.com/sch/HO-Scale-/19128/i.html?_sop=1&_sticky=1&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5555&_sc=1&_nkw=Johns%20bull&_pppn=r1&_dcat=19128&LH_Complete=1

jward

while it isn't veyr valuable, it is a fragile set. you'd be better off getting your grandson something a little more durable. the john bull would make a nice shelf display, though.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

kelleyhendrickson

O.K.   Thank you everyone for a very interesting learning experience.  Happy Holidays!!