News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound for N scale DDA40X

Started by trenn, December 06, 2012, 07:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trenn

How do I put sound in the N scale Bachmann DDA40X ? It has DCC but no sound. Do I remove the DCC and go to one with sound or is there a add on sound decoder?

Thanks for any help

skipgear

If you want the sounds to be affected by load and the proper delay in startup you will need to scrap the factory decoder and wire a new one in. You could probably just piggy back a sound decoder in it and not hook up the motor our lighting output but space may be an issue. You may need to remove the stock lightboard/decoder to make room for the sound decoder. There fortunately is a cavity in the fuel tank made for a speaker already.

I think to do it right it would actually take two sound decoders for the right sound of the power units running in and out of sync.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

trenn

Who makes a decoder with sound for The new Bachmann DDA40X ?  How do I convert a DC Bachmann DDA40X to DCC with sound?

skipgear

Nobody makes a direct fit. It is going to take some work. As I mentioned above, you will have to remove the factory decoder and shoe horn an aftermarket decoder in it. It will take some measuring to see what will fit. The easy answer that should fit with a minimum of modification is the Digitrax SDN144. You will probably still need to modify the frame to make room for the stay alive cap or replace the cap with multiple smaller SMD caps. There are other options but it will take some research on your part unless somebody else on here has performed this already.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

richg

This is what SoundTraxx sells for N scale dual engine sound  827018 TSU-750 Dual EMD 567

Ok, the loco does not use the 567 but an improved version of that prime mover. The 645 but I guess you could use it.
Fitting it in with a speaker, I have no idea.

There are instructions on line on how to configure the decoder to sound like a dual prime mover.
I just looked at th loco diagram and I see there is a spot in the oil tank for a speaker.
On top of the frame, I see where the on board decoder fits. Maybe, there is enough room for the 750 decoder. Might have to do a little more grinding of the frame. No idea if the PC board can remain and it might have LED resistors. Expect a challenge.

Rich

trenn

Found that Soundtrax has a decoder with sound and a 1/2 inch speaker that fits. decoder 837002, speaker 810089

richg

Quote from: trenn on December 11, 2012, 10:49:25 AM
Found that Soundtrax has a decoder with sound and a 1/2 inch speaker that fits. decoder 837002, speaker 810089

He really means the SoundTraxx 827002. That is a better choice than the one I first suggested but I would suggest setting it up to simulate dual sound if you count all the rivets.

The below fellow shows you how to set it up for dual sound. Scroll down about half way.

http://www.mrdccu.com/curriculum/soundtraxx/tsunami.htm

Rich