News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann 2-10-0 headlight replace

Started by ken black, December 07, 2012, 12:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ken black

I have a bachmann 2-10-0 with a high head light that needs replacement is this a easy fix

rogertra

For me?  It is an easy fix.  For you?  Dunno what your skill level is so it's an impossible question to answer.

It's like asking "How long is a piece of rope?" Or, "How deep is a hole?"

ken black

ok i will reword my question how do you replace the light?

GN.2-6-8-0

Check the Consolidation light too dim thread on page 7 of this forum,Jonathon gives a good way of replacing the headlight on a connie which should be the same on the 2-10. Jonathon a master at this sort of thing.
Rocky Lives

jonathan

Very kind of GN 2-6-8-0 to mention me and my tinkering.

I don't own a 2-10-0, but it it's anything like the several other Bachmann steamers I've worked on, you have to do some serious disassembly to get at the headlight.  Most of the time the bulb, or LED, is sandwiched between the two metal frame halves inside the locomotive shell.

I now replace conventional bulbs in my older steamers and replace them with LEDs using a 1K ohm resistor on the negative side of the LED (the short stem on the LED).

I know a bunch of pages will turn up... However, you can do a search of the forum (see button near the top of the page).

Narrow your search to HO and posts initiated by me (jonathan).  I have replaced headlights, changed drive belts, lubricated and otherwise broken steamers down to parade rest and put them back together.  There are lots of pictures.  I don't have access to them at the moment, but I am making a photographic record of work on a first generation Spectrum 2-8-0 I got from an estate sale.  This has old electronics and a conventional bulb-type headlight, which I am replacing.  When I get a little more organized, I'll post some tips and tricks about headlights.

Regards,

Jonathan