News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My Loco Sound in 4-6-0 Starter Set Loco

Started by Bris Biker, December 04, 2012, 06:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bris Biker

Hi everyone I need some help has anyone done this installation I cant get chuff to work have stripped out std board and connected as per instructions my board is the one you use with chuff timers any ideas thanks Greg.

Barry BBT

Is the switch down (below the entry to the cab)?

Barry
There are no dumb questions.

Bris Biker

Yes it is Barry I have steam hiss from the board I have connected the red and black wires to the input on the sound board then plugged it into the loco put the loco on rollers it works forward and back but no chuff regards Greg.

Barry BBT

Bris,

The chuff is normally generated by a make and break switch untilized on the first axle with two metal strips being the contacts and two fingers resting on the drum sending the signals to the sound board in the tender.
The battery in the tender (9V) should be inserted with the positive post to the engineers side of the tender.

Of course we assume all of this and more is in place; i.e., no broken wires or solder joints, etc.

Barry
There are no dumb questions.

NarrowMinded

Hi have you tried using a wire to jump the signal at the board to see if you get a chuff sound?

You say you get a Steam Sound? is this a continous steam sound? or a short blast?

Are you sure the steam sound isn't supposed to be the Chuff? it may be a short circuit not allowing the chuff to alternate on and off...

NM-Jeff

Bris Biker

Yes I have wired in a separate 9v battery with switch the steam hiss starts when the battery is switched on and a red light shows on the sound board which it does the hiss is there even without connecting to the loco the board is powered by the battery at low voltage I have set the pots to the recommended settings I wonder if the jumpers are not right they are where the instructions say they should be I am out of ideas thanks Greg.

Tony Walsham

Greg.
Which steam MyLocosound is it?  Peter makes two different ones.
One has a mechanical chuff timer and uses the contacts in the loco to time the chuff.
The other one has the chuff controlled via the voltage on the track.
Both need to be powered by the track pick ups.

If you can leave it until the club meet next Sat the 15th I will have a look at it for you.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Tony Walsham

Greg.
The two headshunts must stay in place running across the pcb.
If it is not chuffing my guess is that the chuff circuit is broken somewhere between the timing drum and the sound system.  Try the test Jeff talks about.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Bris Biker

Hello and thanks for the replies I didn't connect the two wires from the loco to the right places on the sound board all working now sorry to waste everyones time should have read the instructions properly regards Greg.