News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

white christmas train set

Started by CAMPBELL LYNN, December 07, 2012, 09:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAMPBELL LYNN

Have  a gifted G scale WC Bachmann...help, new out of box, but the loco wheels move for like a 1/2 second, and then stop.  The control box is humming and working, and the track is clean, no bumps, and all connections are "tight" as instructed..HELP me, Christmas is getting closer.  :) :) Much appreciated my Friends with an answer - seattle sue

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi.

I am sure you are frustrated, but answers are often hard to come by.  It is likely you have some kind of short circuit which causes the circuit breaker to shut down the locomotive as soon as you turn on the power.  First check the front small wheels on the locomotive.   This front truck has an arrow on it which must be facing forward.  if not carefully turn the truck till the arrow points forward. The loco will work fine if this was the problem.  It could also be caused by something as simple as a piece of tinsel laying across the tracks or some kind of metal object being in contact with both rails. 

Start by checking all the track for possible shorts.  If you do not see anything obvious, then disconnect all the tracks except for two or three pieces attached to the controller.  If the train goes then you know for sure that the problems is related to the rest of the track. Carefully connect the rest of the track one at a time testing as you go, and watching for problems.  If you attach a track and the loco shuts down then you will know the problem is with that track.

Try these things and let us know if the problem is solved.

Hope this helps a little.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!