Suggestions for the next Large Scale Thomas models

Started by MAELLIS, December 08, 2012, 07:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAELLIS

I have bought the Large scale Thomas, Percy, James plus some coaches & trucks  for our large scale exhibition layout here in Norway. We run the models at two public exhibitions each year. Many of our young visitors have asked when Toby & Henrietta will be coming ! Maybe Bachmann should consider producing both Toby & Duck in the near future as I would have thought the Thomas chassis could be the basis for these models.

These large models have caused a lot of interest over here and I hope they will help sow the seed of interest for the next generation of model train enthusiasts.

PasqualeCS96

Duck has a different chassis from Thomas, however I feel as though Toby will be the next large scale engine. If Toby were to come out, it would only make sense to make Henrietta as well.

Chaz

I feel like Toby will be the next engine in the large scale line, without a question.  A lot of fans want him in the range, and he'd be easy enough for Bachmann to do.  Plus they can reuse his chassis for a Mavis model, similar to what happened with the HO line.  

As for Duck, I honestly don't see him coming into the large scale range anytime soon.  He has the right size and would look great in all, but seeing as how he was just announced for the HO line it would be a while before the thought would come to adding him in large scale.  Might have to take a raincheck on him.  

I feel like if they'd announce anyone else besides Toby it'd be Edward, Mavis, or Bill and Ben.  They seem to recurring characters on the show, and they would be easy enough to add onto the large scale range (unlike Gordon and Henry).  Despite Bill and Ben not exactly being recurring though, the only reason I mentioned them was just because size, and the fact if Bachmann makes one, they can easily make the other twin.  Plus the HO models seemed to be successful amongst fans, so I don't see what would stop them from making it into large scale.  
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Zorran202

I definitely agree with ya, but don't forget Diesel and Salty, since they're the right size for the range too (and if Salty is announced in the future, he'll fill in the void of non-RWS series characters with Emily in a way). Also, Diesel already has a CGI face, which the Large Scale range utilizes, which would be easy to do, just bigger in a way. Plus it would be nice if they made a closed van for the range, since there's open wagons, tankers, and even a brake van, so all they'll need is a closed van (like the salt vans, vent vans, cattle vans, and/or the 'ice cream' van) to complete the range somewhat.

Chaz

Quote from: Zorran202 on December 08, 2012, 06:43:58 PM
I definitely agree with ya, but don't forget Diesel and Salty, since they're the right size for the range too (and if Salty is announced in the future, he'll fill in the void of non-RWS series characters with Emily in a way). Also, Diesel already has a CGI face, which the Large Scale range utilizes, which would be easy to do, just bigger in a way. Plus it would be nice if they made a closed van for the range, since there's open wagons, tankers, and even a brake van, so all they'll need is a closed van (like the salt vans, vent vans, cattle vans, and/or the 'ice cream' van) to complete the range somewhat.

I think any small engine that's already been done in HO and Edward have a good chance of coming out in large scale.  Some more than others. 

I'm surprised no one has really brought up the subject of vans for the large scale line.  It's a good idea and it would help expand the variety in terms of freight rolling stock.  I'm sure we will see them one day though.

Cirkit:)

I think, provided the Large Scale Thomas & Friends range does indeed continue through 2013, then more stock should be added, be they Troublesome Trucks, flat wagons, or even "The Works Coach", which has been seen frequently in CGI as of late.

If they are to do another engine, I'd think smaller would be better. There were a lot of complications with making Emily's drive wheel(at least that's what I heard), and I think smaller locos would be easier to make. If one was chosen, I would think an engine like Toby (with Henrietta accompanying, of course) or Diesel (who would be easy- just scaled up from the HO model, but perhaps with a scowl on his face this time? That smile isn't in character with the Diesel I grew up with) would most likely join Thomas, Percy, James, and Emily on the Large-Scale tracks. :)

Zorran202

And maybe even a mail coach for Percy to pull (because after all, the mail coach received the CGI treatment in HOTR, so that can be very possible indeed). :P

I wonder if they'll produce the red and blue open wagons eventually, since the brown and green one have been made, might as well add some color on the layout of LS eh (just a thought really, but we'll see what they'll announce)...?

chris123678

Quote from: ModelTrainFan538 on December 10, 2012, 12:02:30 AM

I think any small engine that's already been done in HO and Edward have a good chance of coming out in large scale.  Some more than others. 

Edward's not really that small, imagine how large he will be, look at the large scale James.
I'm surprised no one has really brought up the subject of vans for the large scale line.  It's a good idea and it would help expand the variety in terms of freight rolling stock.  I'm sure we will see them one day though.

Shawn

I think this has been mentioned before,  but why not make a narrow gauge engine in large scale?  At the same scale and gauge as the rest,  the body and overall size of the engine would be smaller.  In line with the show.  The highly detailed CGI style skarloey would look lovely in the garden

Chaz

Quote from: chris123678 on December 27, 2012, 10:36:18 AM
Quote from: ModelTrainFan538 on December 10, 2012, 12:02:30 AM

Edward's not really that small, imagine how large he will be, look at the large scale James.

If they made James and got away with making an engine like Emily, I don't see what would stop the large scale line from introducing Edward.

Quote from: Shawn on December 29, 2012, 10:45:42 AM
I think this has been mentioned before,  but why not make a narrow gauge engine in large scale?  At the same scale and gauge as the rest,  the body and overall size of the engine would be smaller.  In line with the show.  The highly detailed CGI style skarloey would look lovely in the garden

It's a good idea in all and they would sell like crazy, but I honestly doubt that Bachmann will introduce the narrow gauge engines in large scale.  If they haven't done so for their HO line or made it compatible with that range, that's kinda saying something about the narrow gauge engines in large scale...  :-\