News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Got decoder, how to hook up to 44 tonner?

Started by on30gn15, December 08, 2012, 11:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30gn15

I have never installed a decoder before.
And as far as known, here in our little population 8200 farming burg, no one else has either.

Just got a Bachmann No. 44915 decoder to try to hook up to a DC 44 tonner. Chose that decoder based on Bachmann's current pdf for DCC version http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/62201.pdf which shows decoder as item N4915#X0005 - figure N4915 and 44915 are close to being same thing. (are you sure that decoder really fits in there?)

Got the EZ Command system late last year, or early this year, forget which.  

Looks like may be decoder hookup points along near side of DC circuit board.
So, how do I do this?
Definitely going to have to solder individual wires since board has no NMRA 8-pin plug.
Neither the loco nor the decoder have item-specific hookup info.

When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

richg

From this, I figure you are new to DCC. Never, ever assume with DCC. It will bite you as you now know.
Many have bought without doing any research or asking.
There are many, many variables in DCC compared to DC.
Do some research first and ask in the forums. also.

The diagram with the loco shows how to attach a decoder. Follow the directions. With the decoder you have, you might cut off the connector, strip back the insulation and connect to the solder pads.
That decoder is for the steamer tender where you plug in the decoder.
I know the loco shell is 16mm wide. No idea on the width of the decoder. I gave away the one Bachmann decoder I had.

Rich

on30gn15

Quote from: richg on December 09, 2012, 11:36:40 AM
From this, I figure you are new to DCC.
That part yes.

QuoteThe diagram with the loco shows how to attach a decoder.
Which brings up this question  
The way this board is drawn it looks to be in perspective looking from underneath as I understand from art and drafting classes way, way, back in high school and college; but that seems a really odd way to do it.
Is it that way or am I seeing things ??? And that is why I commented on lack of item specific hookup info, this is not immediately clear enough.
later, Forrest

on30gn15

Quote from: Hunt on December 09, 2012, 06:00:52 PM
Before you get stared be sure the decoder you have will fit when the shell is put back on. 
Going to do that in the next day or two: my health is a mess and after all the activity this week I'm too tired to focus 100%. However, when had shell apart and cab off last year to paint inside and install a couple guys it looked like there is enough room for a, that, decoder.

And, again, I expect that parts diagram decoder N4915 and separate sale decoder 44915 are the same decoder with different endings on the wire - bare for the part, NMRA plug for the separate sale part, that's just too much like many other parts situations in various genres encountered over the decades. And logic says it would be too confusing internally in Bachmann's internal records to have them be dramatically different parts.

I'm convinced they are the same decoder. And therefore it will fit in shell when I get there in a couple days.
Reason I say that is involved in getting headlights out - last year the literal "dim bulb" headlights were replaced with 3mm LED pirated from Christmas lights. Interestingly, the bulb current was fine for the LED, apparently the circuit board dropped voltage for bulbs to the range required for LEDs.

Guess we'll find out if decoder works or not with those LED. If it blows them, no big deal, are two more entire Christmas light strings worth of them on hand to expend in testing with.
later, Forrest

Geared Steam

You will have to cut off the plug on the decoder and solder the wires to the board.

electrical whiz kid

Great decision to ask on here here; even if it may be after the fact.  We-all of us-have learned some pretty sad-if not costly-lessons at one time or another.  The great thing about this and other like forums is the great informational resource from guys who are all too willing to share their knowledge.
Take care and good luck here.
Rich C.