News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ho train repair

Started by slim zimm, December 09, 2012, 08:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim zimm

Is there someone locally that can repair older Bachman HO trains? thanks.

Doneldon

zimm-

It's hard to answer your question about a local repair shop when you haven't told us where "locally" is. However, there really isn't
anything called a repair shop for model trains. Many hobby shops do repairs but their main activity is sales, not repair. Most can refer
you to people who will do repairs on a private basis if they don't do repairs themselves. Note that many hobby shops which do repairs
actually send them elsewhere for the work.

Your best and quickest resource is probably Bachmann service, the contact information for which is on this web site. They will only work on
Bachmann trains;  can't tell from your post whether the items you want repaired are Bachmann products.

-- D

slim zimm

Sorry, my mistake. Milwaukee is local. If I am that close I will call Bachmann. thanks!

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Doneldon on December 09, 2012, 08:17:19 PM
However, there really isn't anything called a repair shop for model trains.

Kind of a shame, don't you think? I remember the days when train sets came packed with a list of "authorized service centers."  :D

Doneldon

J-J

There are manufacturer service centers. I was just saying that there aren't
any model train repair shops operating as freestanding businesses.

-- D

digitalgriffin

I'm just "okay" at repairs.  I'll do basic disassembly and repair of all plastic.  But if you ask me to disassemble running gear, requarter, regear, or remotor a steam engine, I'll run screaming.

Makes me worry when my brass stops working, what I'll do for repairs.

To answer the original posters question, most Bachman has a lifetime warranty on it.  I believe the current repair fee is ~$40.00 (HO Spectrum), and most times they just ship you a new train.  Sometimes they do repair.

If it's something as simple as a broken bell, motor, or whatever, you can order parts from the main website.

BIG BEAR

Slim,

Try Southside Trains at 3979 South Howell Ave. just a little north of the airport. Phone 414-482-1566. Tom just moved there from a further south location he had been in for a few years.    http://www.southsidetrains.com/
If you are on the north west side of town try Summerfeldts in Butler.    http://www.sommerfelds.com/
Enjoy,
  Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.