Help. First problem Power terminal not functioning....

Started by LastManOut, June 15, 2014, 10:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LastManOut

I set up a new Thomas Large Scale set for the grandchildren today.  The power terminal connector will not make contact with the track.  I tested the connection by placing the terminal upside down on top of the rails, there is power to the terminals. I cleaned the contact point on the track and connector terminals, pressed the terminals against the track, twisted the terminals flatter to make contact, none of which helped.

Is there a better available connector.  I know I can cut the plastic between the ties and use rail clamps, but I do not want to damage the track in case I have to return the set.

P.S. I am a retired residential electrician and municipal electrical inspector.  I have been building and running G Scale trains for five years, but I can not figure this out.

LastManOut

I was so happy that the Thomas set I ordered to set up and run for the grandchildren arrived yesterday in time for their visit for Father's Day.
The electrical connector that hooks to the track will transmit not power the rails.  I fixed that with female spade connectors to the tabs on the supplied track connector with alligator clips to the track.
So now I have power to the rails.  Thomas starts to roll around the track for about 12 inches until it jumps the track. Re-rail. I checked all the track connections they are fine. Try again, derail re-rail. One of the plastic locks was left under the ties and twisted the track on the carpet a smidgen. Maybe that was the problem.
I ran the locy sloooow around the track and it made it once and almost twice before it derailed again. Torque the track a bit to flatten it out and try again with better results and re-rail.  (Remember this is a kids toy train.)
Connect the two coaches and see if it will pull them around.  (The kids will be here soon, so I got to get this working.)  Derail, re-rail, derail, re-rail.  Pack it back in the packaging and get it ready to ship back.
Sure I can buy wider curved track and rewire the power supply to rail clamps, but this is supposed to be a ready-to-run toy set for a child.  I guess it is, if you want frustrated children or grandpa.

LastManOut

Well the locy runs fine on brass track, on my layout.  I just wish I didn't buy the "ready to run" set with this train just so I could throw out the track.

Come on Bachmann, I didn't expect Accucraft quality, but to sell this as a set for children and not be able to operate is disappointing.  Maybe that's my problem, I'm 50 years too old for this toy.

InsideTrack

Please contact Customer Service for help, toll-free within the U.S. and Canada, 800-356-3910.