Main Menu

Narrator Poll

Started by PRRThomas11, August 09, 2007, 06:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatle (TrainBrain)

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

PRRThomas11

Quote from: FPT on September 19, 2007, 05:47:19 PM
Brooks & Dunn might make good Narrators. :D
Who are brooks and dunn.
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

willb

Quote from: Frog Pulling Team on September 22, 2007, 07:54:31 PM
::)Oh Brother ::)

george strait would probably do better ;~D

heck we could probably get reba to do mavis, lady, and the other female engines.

VirginiaCentral

Definitely Ringo.

Hey Mr. B. How about bringing back the large scale Thomas?
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

Edward2

Quote from: PRRThomas11 on September 22, 2007, 05:04:36 PM
Quote from: FPT on September 19, 2007, 05:47:19 PM
Brooks & Dunn might make good Narrators. :D
Who are brooks and dunn.
Brooks & Dunn are country singers.

PaulGWR

Carlin is my all time favorite narrator, he gave the show so much life into every character

Ringo Starr was great and also had some great voices, he was the perfect choice to be the first narrator for the series

These narrators aren't really catagorized under any place but here are my thoughts

Angelis: had few funny lines but was too fast in the beginning and his James voice was awkward but I enjoyed lines like the infamous  HAR-HAR!

Baldwin: again, had some weird voices but also had some great voices like STH, Salty, Oliver, and Toad

Brandon: Isn't that bad, even though the narration was odd, you can still tell that he was trying

Brosnan: great narrator, wish he could've stayed longer

Moragan: still curious to see what he has in store.

DinoNTrains

George Carlin all the way :)
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

Farmboybello

1. George carlin
2. Michael brandon
3. Ringo starr
4. Michael angelis
5. Mark morghan
6. Peirce brosnan
and Alec Baldwin HIS NARRATION SUCKS
BRING BACK THE EXPRESS COACHES.

thomasj219

Ringo and Carlin are the top for me, maybe with Carlin a shade more skillful.
Then Alec Baldwin growing up when series 5 was produced I grew accustomed to his voice though it's not my favorite.
Angelis, first heard him on New Friends For Thomas, loved the fact that he was british though I felt he did a lot of the same.
Moraghan, really liking his style, his voice sounds a lot like Angelis in my opinion.
Brosnan, Short but sweet stint, liked him but a bit shall we say "corny" at times.
Brandon, In my opinion the weakest of the lot but I still hold a sweet spot for a lot of his voices. Diesel especially. It is Thomas of course, hard to dislike.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

Rai1994

My favorites are Ringo Starr, George Carlin and Alec Baldwin. I'm the type of person who can't pick just one top favorite.
Thomas will always be my Number 1 favorite tank engine!

AJW98Productions

Hmmm...as a child I grew up in the late era of Britt Alcroft and the early era of HiT Entertainment ( I am a 1998 child "through and through", as I believe the expression goes :P ), although I must say the era did not change much for me because my family hadn't quite caught up with recent times (something I thank my lucky stars for now, as I got to see the classic seasons, which I view as the best of the show to this day, and I also got to see earlier incarnations of other shows, but that's a story for another day), so I grew up on seasons 1-5 mostly with a bit of season 6 mixed in. Although I must say I watched Thomas And The Magic Rail Road quite a lot growing up. And I believe this is common knowledge, but just in case anyone didn't know (I'm really trying hard not to sound full of myself here and apologies if I am), in Australia we receive the British narration, meaning I grew up with Ringo Starr (Seasons 1-2) and Michael Angelis (seasons 3-6) with Alec Baldwin thrown in the mix for his appearance in TATMRR. Now as a child I was not aware of the American narrators (Other than Baldwin), so my list would've been:
1. Angelis
2. Baldwin
3. Ringo
Now around the same time I learned of Michael Brandon and George Carlin's narrations, I also found out about "The Great Discovery" and that it was being released soon. I set my hopes high for that special and I was quite let down after watching it, mostly due to Brosnan's narration, I'm not sure what it was but I just couldn't stand it, that narration (for me anyway) just ruined the special, and I had high hopes set for it too.
Baldwin's narration is the best to me for the American narrators, but that's just probably due to me watching TATMRR many, many times over as a child.
Carlin is a close second for the American narrators. I get the feeling that had I not grown up with TATMRR being my only way of seeing the American narration, Carlin may have been my favourite for the American narrators.
Michael Brandon's narration is just not something I ever enjoyed...at all. We're all entitled to our opinions, but overall for me, he was the weakest narrator.

After seeing most episodes of seasons 7-12 on youtube, I must admit...Angelis's narration took quite a dive (especially at around season 9 onwards), to the point where he just seemed tired and bored and he just didn't seem to put the same effort into it that he did in seasons 3-6. My preference in narrator has taken a shift anyway to Ringo Starr for the British narration, even if his voice is a little too deep and monotone he still takes place as my favourite for the British narration's, with Angelis (seasons 3-7) at a close second, I choose to disregard his later narrations anyway, I haven't much cared for the series after season 5, season 6 had enough to stand in my viewpoint but for me season 7 marked the beginning of the end, and then season 8 hammered that point home for me.
Only recently has the series managed to pick itself up, although regardless of the quality of the episodes, I almost always enjoyed the movies/specials (with Calling all Engines being my one exception). Anyway I went off on a tangent (my apologies)
And last but not least, Mark Morghan; here we seem to be receiving an Angelis imitation, but maybe slightly more refined than Angelis's more recent work (as I mentioned earlier his narration did decline later on in his run, in my opinion). I look forward to seeing more of what he has in store for us, but overall, here is my final list
1. Ringo
2. Morghan (provided he can maintain his current standard)
3. Baldwin and Angelis
Carlin is at a very close 4th spot for me
5. Brosnan
6. Brandon

(It is of note that I haven't seen much of the series post season 13, with the exception of the movies that have been released since then, so I do not know enough to judge Angelis or Brandon fairly in the post season 12 era)

I hope my opinions did not offend anyone. I never claimed anything I said was fact, just opinion. If my opinion does offend you I'm sorry for that as I do not seek to offend, the whole point of this post was to throw my 2 cents into the ring :)

~AJW98Productions The Second

DinoNTrains

You know, I wonder how Gwyneth Paltrow would have fared if she had gone through narrating The Great Discovery (I read a blog post on SiF that Paltrow was in talks of narrating that special.)
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

thomasj219

Ugh........... all I'll say.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

PasqualeCS96

Definitely Carlin for first place, Baldwin for second.

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA