Older Side tank locomotive gears - very old

Started by sandyt, December 10, 2012, 07:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandyt

Hi
I just found some very old stock 90017 Large scale train sets - Lumberjack - with the side tank 0-4-0 tank locomotives.
These were all unopened despite being maybe 20 years old.
I have found that the motors run OK on each locomotive - 3 in all - but they all have the main drive gear which is fitted to the rear axle split. These are white plastic gears push fitted to splines on the axles. The gears cannot be repaired and I doubt if spares are still available. Anyone got a bright idea to bring these old timers back into working order?

Thank you - Alexander Taylor Scottish Garden Railway, Scotland, UK

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,

You could try to measure the gear and count the teeth and check to see if NWSL has a a gear that might work.

http://www.nwsl.com/

They even have a gear request form that might be helpful.

Shipping to Scotland should be fairly reasonable.

Good Luck!!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Barry BBT

I buy a lot of gears from Stock Drive, I think you will have better luck sourcing the gears you need from them.

Do as Bill suggested, but identify what you will need; i.e., a spur gear can look a lot like a worm gear, but they cannot be interchanged successfully.  

This loco is a Porter model and I believe I can replace the axle gear and axle.  I had the cluster gear recast in bronze, but gone and no longer available, and this, no one is going to have.  Hopefully, you don't need them.

The new axle and gear (drilled and cross-pinned gear) are $5.00 ea. and $5.00 shipping to you (assuming three axles/gears).

Unfortunately, I no longer can accept credit cards, so would need some kind of check or Money Order.

Barry Olsen

6822 W. Villa St.
Phoenix, AZ 85043

(623) 936-6088

barrysbigtrains@live.com
There are no dumb questions.

Joe Zullo

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Barry BBT

There are no dumb questions.

freightcar

I have the same engine with the very same problem. I was thinking to just use epoxy glue to fix it, then I read this forum. Just wondering if someone already new the part number from NWSL.