News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Better Diesel for Bachmann to produce

Started by Kevin S., December 10, 2012, 03:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin S.

I really like the White Pass diesels, but the links below will take you to a series of photos of a locomotive that is probably a better fit for On30. It's big enough to be small mainline power for a short line and small enough to be big industrial power for an industrial line.

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,231097

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,231097,231116#msg-231116

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,231097,231120#msg-231120

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,231097,231122#msg-231122

railexpert

Hi Kevin,

that is the right loco for the next Bachmann model.
Big enough but not too big.

railexpert

railtwister

Aren't they just GE 44 Tonners with narrow gauge trucks? If so, Rich Yoder did them in brass, but probably only in standard gauge. In O scale 30" gauge, that would translate into a pretty large loco with a lot of overhang beyond the trucks, especially compared to most of what has been made available in the past. As long as we're just wishing here, how about a model of this loco with two sets of trucks, one set On30, and the other 2 rail O gauge...

Kevin S.

Similar but different from the one Rich Yoder released.

If you'll note, the coupler/drawbar is mounted on the truck itself. The two trucks are actually connected.

The frame and superstructure bears none of the load of pulling the train, it is simply along for the ride so to speak.

I believe this approach was taken to allow these locomotives to handle really sharp curves while pulling heavy loads. Perfect for industrial operations.

They also made for good short line locomotives for similar reasons.  The diesels the D&SNG has were former steel mill locomotives and are built, I believe, in a similar fashion.

I love Rich Yoder's locomotives, I just can't afford them. Hopefully a version of this type by Bachmann would be much less expensive than one of RY's beautiful brass locomotives.

CNE Runner

The CTS #19 is a fairly rare locomotive in the U.S. It is a GE 47-ton model that was built between 1943 - 1954 mostly for South American railroads. Number 19 came from Scenic Railway in 1972 to the CTS and is dubbed the "Bumble Bee". #19 is used primarily for switching and other special work. [BTW: the CTS also owns another GE 47-tonner...#15].

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

maxxi

Hi ,
to my knowledge #15 & #19 were former Oahu Railwa & Land Co. locomotives. Modified , with lower cabs , GE 44ton's with additional weight because of the trucks and sharp cuves of the Oahu R.R.
Drawings in RMC Jan 1961
Roland

Kevin Strong

I'd rather see an end-cab diesel brought out, either something like what is running (or used to run) over the Georgetown Loop. That, or fitting more in line with the 30" gauge proportions of the rolling stock, maybe something like the EBT's M-5, which was a Plymouth A-B set. Smaller, and you could run one or both units as needed. I don't think there'd be enough visual difference between the current center cab and a model of the center cabs listed above. Maybe it'd be a bit longer, but the cab and other proportions would be very similar. But something with the cab on one end would be a good stablemate for those desiring variety.

Yeah, I know... I'm a 1:20.3 steam guy, what do I care about On30 diesels? Truth be told, I've built an extensive On30 railroad in my head many times over. I just don't have the space (or the desire to sleep on the couch) to bring another scale into the house. So I live vicariously through you guys. :)

Later,

K

steinked

Hi folks,

if you can live with a smaller sized engine of that type, take a H0 44-ton switcher and modify it with Dallas Mallerich's bash-kit from Boulder Valley:
http://bouldervalleymodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=42. It'll give you a nice little GE type critter.

Have fun

Dieter
Manns Creek Railway - Mining and Logging

Burlington Route

I'm on the same track...ok, maybe a side track next to yours....just got a williams O scale FM trainmaster shell and an HO DCC GP40 engine to make an On30 diesel- the price was right on both pieces. I know some cutting will be involved{and was planned} to get the shell to fit and as soon as I get a reply from mr bachmann as to what kind of plastic the shell is, I can then find the right glue for the job and proceed.
Your talking about prototypical engines and I'm playing with a whimsical concept but we're on the same track as to getting a diesel on On30 rails since ....cough....no manufacturer has yet to accommodate us....cough... {hint, hint- nudge, nudge- wink, wink- eh};D  

Maybe even a nice lil Mack 18 tonner or bigger?!........

Stevelewis

I have  spent  most  of  my  'working' life in  marketing  ( not  model railways  though!!!) and thinking  with my  Marketing  Hat on I feel that  Bachmann  will  look carefully  at the  success or  otherwise with  the  Whitcomb diesel, before  even  thinking  of  producing  another  diesel loco for  0n30,

Given the  current  financial situation  and  the  obvious  cut  backs  many modellers  are   having  to  make to  their modelling purchases I feel that we  may  have  to  be  VERY appreciative of Bachmann in investing in the  forthcoming Whitcomb Diesel loco, and  support them  by actually  buying  them if we can afford to!

By doing  this  they may just  be confident  enough to consider  further 0n30 diesel locos.
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Catt

I'd love to buy a Whitcomb,but I can't justify even to myself spending that kind of money for a plastic loco.

Stevelewis

Are you  sure  its  plastic??  If  you  read  the  loco's  description you will find  it  states 'DIECAST CONSTRUCTION'

Even  so  it  will be  a low  volume  item sales  wise comparedd with H0 and  tooling is VERY expensive  these days!  

ksivils

I plan to eventually obtain one of the Whitcombs - I just like the diesels I posted the links too as I have seen both in operation.

As was mentioned in an earlier post, Bachmann is probably watching how this locomotive does saleswise before producing another diesel.

Note, I said I plan to obtain one eventually. The family pocketbook has been hit hard by the economy, marrying off a daughter recently, burying my father and having my shoulder surgically reconstructed.

In other words, my financially situation is just like most modelers. Life happens and we don't always get to buy the goodies we want.

I'll get one eventually though. I just cannot do it the instant the locomotive hits the market like I normally would.

Stevelewis

I am not  sure  if  you have  checked out prices?

I note that the Whitcombe is preoderable at $238.50 from a well known NY retailer of many  things! which is a lot less than the $425.00 RRP.
however if I were to order from them  I would be paying out  around  $350.00 as shipping to the UK, and UK import charges (20% of the item cost + 20% of the shipping charge + a service charge has to be paid beforre they will deliver to my address!!)  Also it can take about 2.1/2 weeks to arrive.

Over here in the UK it is listed at £225.00  (thats a  discount price) which is around  $370.00 the good point as well is  that the retailer  I use  does  not charge any shipping  and  it iss delivered  next day guaranteed service!