News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

adding sound to a SD40

Started by appleseed, December 11, 2012, 12:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

appleseed

Hello,
     I'm new at DCC. I just converted from analog with a Bachmann E Z command control center and a DCC equipped SD40-2 (60901) engine.Can I add sound to this system? If so what do I need to purchase?

richg

You are in the General forum so I have to assume you are asking about HO scale.

To start with, a better DCC controller. The Ez Command is very basic but it is a start. You can control some sounds but very limited for modifying CV's if you have read the manual and compared to say what the Bachmann Dynamis can do.
How much do you want to pay? Consider cost of decoder and speaker, $50 to maybe $150, depending on brand and your source. As of right now, Bachmann does not sell a sound decoder.

Rich

appleseed

So it is possible to add a sound decoder to this engine? Yes it is HO

richg

Quote from: appleseed on December 11, 2012, 12:45:20 PM
So it is possible to add a sound decoder to this engine? Yes it is HO

Yes.

Rich

richg

Search the General and HO forum for sd40 sound. I just did. This has been asked before.

Rich

appleseed

jward

it would probably be more cost effective to buy one of the sound value locomotives. they already have dcc and sound for about the price of a sound decoder itself. dcc conversions can range from simple plug n play, to more involved installations in which the locomotive must be completely disassembled and the frame milled for a speaker or decoder. i suspect that installing the sound decoder in your sd40-2 will be the latter.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

br6

I would also like to add sound. How do you remove cab from engine to get access without damaging plastic?