Controlling two locos on one layout with two operators

Started by edpb, October 03, 2012, 06:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edpb

I have a Bachmann Mogul with sound and two Bachmann 70 tonners with DCC.  What control/throttle/power setup do I need to run any two or three locos with two or three operators simultaneously and independently on one layout, making the sound available whenever the Mogul is one of the locos running?  My layout is all one block.  I can't tell from what I have read if the E-Z Command system will do it.  It seems that E-Z Command allows only one cab but multiple trains - not what I want.

Jerrys HO

ed

The EZ Command will do it with the walk around companion.
Almost if not all DCC systems have the capability to use multiple throttles.
You have to decide which system best suits your needs.
Here's a link to help you along.
http://www.awrr.com/dccintro1.html

Jerry

Doneldon

ed-

Your EZ Command will handle all three locos simultaneously. However, it's only a single controller so two or three people would
have to share it if each loco is to have its own operator. You can purchase up to three (perhaps four, I don't recall for sure but
somebody on here will know) Walk-around Companions, each of which will allow a controller to not only control his/her locomotive,
but all of them. Of course, you can easily establish ground rules such that your operators are limited to conroling their designated
locos only.
                   -- D

edpb

Thank you Jerry and Doneldon for your replies.  After I posted my question I had to drop that subject and take care of some other things, but I do appreciate your info.  I had a quick look at Jerry's link, and I think it will indeed help.  When I get my answer figured out, and have trains running, I will come back and post my solution.  I have a small portable layout on which the trains could run (at any one of three different grandkids homes) , but I want to build a new one pretty much like it but more portable.--  Ed

edpb

When I bought the Mogul I also bought a MRC Tech 6 Sound Controller 2 to run it.  Recently I added a MRC Tech 6 Walkaround Controller.  It plugs into the Sound Controller and I used it to program one of my 70 tonners as loco 04.  Now I have two locos that two grandkids can run independently.  That's as far as Tech 6 can go.  The Walkaround could also program and run up to four other locos, but only one at a time, and switching between them on the fly would be more than I want to give the kids to handle.  For now, with the present layout, I'm satisfied.  When I build my new portable layout it will use the Digitrax Zephyr plus two infrared cabs so we can run three trains.  This thread and others that I have read on this forum have helped a lot, so thanks to everyone.  --  Ed

Doneldon

ed-

One cab (controller) can run more than one train at a time although you can only program one at a time or make changes to what one loco
is doing (speed and direction or sounds or lights) at a time. It's probably a good idea to let the kids focus on just one train, at least until they
become more familiar with your system.
                                                                     -- D