Williams Hudson (from girl's passenger set)-quick stop

Started by WOODYD, December 11, 2012, 07:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WOODYD

Have a pink Williams girls set with Hudson engine that lockups when power is shut off causing freight cars to fly off the track- the engine has has a fly wheel and should coast some what. Linkage is not binding - any help would be appreciated.

phillyreading

What type of transformer are you using? Do you gradually slow down or do you push the handle on the transformer all the off in one quick gesture?
Just because it has a flywheel don't mean that it will keep coasting to a stop.

If you think there is a problem with the Hudson locomotive, contact Williams service center as soon as possible. I can't say about all the circumstances but I have not heard of this type of problem before with any Williams engines. Of course we know most stuff for model trains is made in China and that may be your problem-a quality issue, and that is why I say get with Williams ASAP!!

Lee F.

Joe Satnik

Dear Woody,

Clean and lube your chassis.  If that doesn't cure the problem, read on. 

Remove the shell and check to see that the flywheel is tight on the motor shaft. 

It is possible that your drive-train is binding, with your transformer and motor being strong enough to overcome it, but not the flywheel by itself. 

One way to check for binding would be to turn the flywheel by hand until a driver wheel goes through at least one rotation. 

If one or more of your engine's driver wheels are out of quarter, you will feel a "tightening" or "increased resistance to turning" at certain spots in the driver wheel's rotation.

If that is the case, your engine will have to be re-quartered.  Customer service has a fixture to do the re-quartering.   

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.