News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On 30 turntable

Started by aussie30inch, August 10, 2007, 03:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussie30inch

Hello

whilst looking on the Peco site , I noticed that they have anounced that they will be producing a On 30 turntable. There is a photo of it and in measures 305mm long , which is 12 inches in length. It is a bit short but it will hold quite neatly the bachmann Of 2-8-0.It also has a nice timber deck and looks great.

hope its been helpful

aussie30inch

geoff

David(UK)

Should be available in September and catalogue Number is LK55A - it's just a variation on their standard OO scale T/T.
Taken them a long time to get it into production.
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds

OldStone

Good Mornin
The Peco looks good.  No price given.  All my turnouts are Peco....excellent products.  I've been using the Walthers (Cornerstone) 90' (12 3/8" bridge) model, set up for the "armstrong" (manual) method for some time.  Works great for my 2-6-0 and only cost $40.00 retail.  Motorizing kit is $20 more.
Most installs I see run the incoming and outgoing rails over the lip of the pit wall.  Being a contrary Irishman, I run the bridge rails out over the pit wall with the incoming and outgoing rails stopping just short of it.  This lets me lift the whole assembly (pit, bridge, etc.) out of the table at any time, for maintenance or working in the space below it.  This may not be prototypical but it has saved me lots of time.  Food for thought.
Cheers,
OldStone, "Armstrong" of the O & W RR

David(UK)

I haven't got the latest Pico catalogue to hand, but off the top of my head I think the UK price was around £37.00 say a tad under $75.00 for you lot over the pond
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds

japasha

Try Freshwater models for their Sellers Iron turntable. Almost fifteen inches long and quite a few went to Australia and are still in use or exist. It is also a kit and is $95US. A little more expensive but very nice. Contact me and I can send pictures.

OldStone

Good Afternoon All:
Just paid a visit to my local dealer...he is selling the Cornerstone 90' model for $30.00.  Hard to beat, and it will handle any On30 loco Bachmann has made yet.  It will, however, require a scratch-built deck, if you want one.  The HO scale deck that comes with it is too narrow.
Cheers,  Oldstone
CEO,  O & W RR

randerson

Hello all,

I have 2 MMI locos ordered, the bigger one is a K 37( about 14" I think) does any one make a turntable big enough?

Cheers,

Rich

bwreno

Try www.diamond-scale.com

They offer several types and sizes.  They are located in Arizona

bob

japasha

If you have a larger locomotive (K-27, K-28, etc) use the Freswater Models Sellers. Prototypes like it were used by the Colorado and Southern at Como and Leadville. At 15 inches in length, the bigger locomoptives are a cinch.

If you are using an HO turntable, the best deal going is the Walthers 120' HO turntable but the deck must be modified for the width of the )n30 locomotioves. The smaller 90' will also work. Note that these are built-up and have built in motors and indexing, not the same as the Cornerstone which can be made to work well as an armstrong type.

The Freshwater may be motorized, call them for details.

Charlie Mutschler

:o  At fifteen inches, that turntable will barely, and I mean JUST barely hold any of the D&RGW mikes in O scale.  The D&RGW installed a 65 foot turntable in Durango for these larger locomotives, it is still in use by the Durango & Silverton.  That's 16.25 inches in O scale. 

Total wheel base and total length over coupler knuckles for the K-s

K-27  51'0 1/2" wheel base, 60'9 3/8" overall length.
K-28  53' 6" wheel base, 63' 10 1/2" overall length. 
K-36  58' 7 3/4" wheel base, 68' 0 3/4" overall length. 
K-37  56' 1 13/16" wheel base, 65' 2 15/16" overall length. 

Even with a 65 foot turn table, the K-36 class overhangs each end of the Durango turn table by a foot and a half.  I don't have figures for the EBT 2-8-2's, but I suspect they are a little longer than the D&RGW locos, if nothing else because they have 48 inch diameter drivers instead of 40 inch (K-27) or 44 inch (K-28, K-36, K-37) drivers. 

Happy modeling. 

Charlie Mutschler
-30-

Frank

I've made up and powered the Freshwater TT, runs fine, but you must be careful to get everything square as you build it. This especially applies to the tubing which acts as the sleeve for the pivot, it must be dead square to the base board.

If I did another, I'd replace the tubing provided with something a bit more substantial, or at least bigger diameter KS tubing. That's partly because I've run another tube up the centre of the pivot, insulated from the pivot tube itself, and I use that to transfer track power. I don't like Freshwater's wiper idea.

Frank