News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ez-track

Started by ncruss55, December 14, 2012, 02:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncruss55

Is there any limit to the number of pieces of ez-track that can be used with one power track, and if so, what is the procedure for adding additional power sections?

Doneldon

russ-

There isn't really a limit but I would add feeders every 12-15 feet if you are running DC because rails aren't the best conductors in the world. Just put a heavier wire (16 ga lamp cord works well for all but the largest layouts) under the layout with short, fine feeders going up to the rails. Be sure to watch your polarity. You can use heavier (14 ga) zip cord or Romex for really big layouts. I like zip cord because it's easier to reach bare wire to attach the feeders and it's much more flexible than Romex. 

I strongly suggest that you use feeders every five or six feet if you are running DCC. The same size wires will work; just make sure to keep those feeders as short as possible. Many MRs feed DCC more often than this because DCC is a bit fussy about its electrical supply. I use enough feeders that my power never has to travel through more than one rail joint which isn't soldered. That's not as many feeders as you might think because I use flex track when possible and solder my rail joiners where the feeders meet the track.

-- D

Bob_B

I need some info in relation to DCC and NS E-Z track also.
I have a 5 meter x 2.5 meter double track oval with several siding in the middle and a total
of 6 DCC turnouts.
A lot of this track is 1 meter straights.
I'm using the standard E-Z Command Dynamis system with one feeder.
Everything runs fine but I'd like to add at least on more feeder.
I can't find anything made by Bachmann that has a central junction from the Command Station
to allow multiple feeders to run from it.
Basically I want a double adapter type accessory that connects to the Command Station.

Any help would be appreciated.

jward

you could make your own from feeder wires cut in half, connected to a terminal block. use the feeder halves to connect to the layout at various points, plus one to the dynamis. terminal blocks are readily available in radio shack.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Bob_B

Quote from: jward on May 30, 2013, 09:55:40 PM
you could make your own from feeder wires cut in half, connected to a terminal block. use the feeder halves to connect to the layout at various points, plus one to the dynamis. terminal blocks are readily available in radio shack.

I was hoping Bachmann had something I could use rather than "butcher" the modular system they have already created. Perhaps extra feeders aren't required with their setup.

Doneldon

Quote from: Bob_B on May 31, 2013, 10:22:43 PM
I was hoping Bachmann had something I could use rather than "butcher" the modular system they have already created. Perhaps extra feeders aren't required with their setup.

Bob-

It's not butchering; it's saving a great deal of money. I built a layout for one of my grandsons last year which had 14 remote turnouts, nine of which needed control cable extensions. With tax and/or shipping costs, it would have cost me well over $100 to use Bachmann extension cables. I did it for about $5 and an hour of my time. Ninety-five dollars per hour is better money than I made as salary when I was still working. I also fudged the multiple feeders, saving that much again. And I felt much more self reliant when I was done.

Most of us on this board will urge you to use multiple feeders although we all seem to have our own idea of what that means, the technique to use and how many feeders are truly needed. A big part of the recommendation for multiple feeders comes from the awareness that DCC can be a little fussy about having excellent electrical supply. If your trains hit dead spots, even exceedingly short ones, your decoders will reset and run the start up sound sequence despite the fact that the trains are already moving down the line. Multiple feeders can reduce that and even operate in a forward direction. That is, your power supply and track work might be perfect right now but the electrical continuity across rail joints will deteriorate with the passage of time. That means you may be stringing new feeders under your completed layout, feeders which wouldn't be needed if they were installed when it was easy to do so, i.e., now.
                                                           -- D

GG1onFordsDTandI

Buying a few extra track pieces with the feed terminals wont be to hard on the wallet. But I think the "hack" method is easier, cheaper, and if done right, "hides" better

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

HO Code 100 Terminal rail joiners (Bachmann does not make, but brand "A" does) are a cheaper method to add feeders.   

They replace the E-Z Track rail joiners. 

An easy and non-destructive way to remove the stock rail joiners is shown in NarrowMinded's video that is linked near the bottom of this thread:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,21790.msg173512.html#msg173512

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Bob_B

Quote from: Doneldon on May 31, 2013, 11:31:37 PM

Bob-

It's not butchering; it's saving a great deal of money.

......... That means you may be stringing new feeders under your completed layout, feeders which wouldn't be needed if they were installed when it was easy to do so, i.e., now.

Perhaps I should explain in more detail.
The cost isn't important. The layout is and always will be temporary and on the floor. This is why I chose Bachmann E-Z track. I also like to change the layout for variety.
I have a Marklin Z scale permanent set-up and everything for multiple feeders (I have 5) is supplied by Marklin, I just assumed Bachmann would have these items as well.
The E-Z Command Dynamis system is touted as modular, catering for expansion to larger layouts and more locos.
I like plug 'n play so one would assume it would also have a feeder distribution system in place.
I want to sort this out before getting the Dynamis Pro and 5v Booster as I plan to add a third oval for a total of about 60 meters of track and a couple more locos. I have four now. 

Doneldon

Bob-

There is no question that EZTrack, or its roadbed attached competitors, is the best choice for a temporary, on the floor layout. Since you've started with EZT, stay with it. While it's possible to use other brands with your EZT, it will require carving and adapting every joint which is not made with the same brand of track. There's no point in going through all that. When you put the layout together, be sure that every rail goes into its corresponding rail joiner, not just on top.

I suggest that you make a permanent spider feed system with stranded wire. By that I mean a single wire which goes to a central point and then feeders which all radiate from there. The advantage of stranded wire is its flexibility; the stiffness of single-conductor wire would be a major nuisance. I would sill use feeders soldered to rail joiners but if you want to stay with Bachmann cables, cut them in half (or whatever lengths make sense) and solder all of the cut ends together with the main wire leading from your Dynamis.
                           -- D

Bob_B

Thanks for the tips but I may have found a solderless solution.

The Dynamis Handset has two connectors for track power.
One is the 3.5mm jack I'm using now and another next to it for a screw terminal (supplied with cable).
The manual diagram say to use one or the other but I'm now wondering if I could use both and connect to another terminal track with the second wire.

Another option is to connect in series rather than parallel as the terminal tracks have a connector on both sides.

Are these viable option?

Doneldon

Bob-

You can't actually connect track in series unless different track parts are electrically isolated from one another (which is, for the most part, unnecessary with DCC). I don't think it would be desirable to connect track areas in series due to the voltage drop as one moves farther from the power source. I don't think it would hurt anything -- people more familiar with DCC than I will correct that statement if I an in error -- but I can't think of a reason to connect in series, either.
                                                                                                                                      -- D

Joe323

For the record  i was able to purchase those green extention cords off ebay for as I recall $3 each not the $10 they came without the wasteful package too.