Switches with the EZ Commander controller....HELP!

Started by Balrog21, December 15, 2012, 07:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerrys HO

Bal

As suggested by Jeff do not use a DC power supply with DCC. You are risking damage to your controllers. DCC is the way to go.
I notice in your diagram the connection to the 3rd main line. How do you intend to get it back to the 1rst main line?

Jerry

P.S. - I hunt in Brookhaven and Liberty. I'm from Metairie.

Balrog21

There is a switch there...backing it out on the track I would guess or I may add another switch on the other side.

Yeah you know where McComb is then! My next question is do I need more than one 8 pin barrier switch? Since I have more than 8 switches?

Jerrys HO

I use 2, one strip for hot and the other for common.
You will have only 7 slots left after you wire in the power pack but you can double up as I have and run other accessories such as my turntable. You will only be throwing one switch at a time unless you wire your crossover to throw both at one time which I never could figure out why they don't make it that way as they supply to switches to throw them independently.
I run 15 turnouts off my one pack with no problems.

Jerry

jward

if i may offer a suggestion regarding the track plan.....

watch out for s curves. always make sure you have a length of straight track betwen curves of opposite directions.

keep in mind that if you are using the 18r switches that a crossover between tracks will usually result in an 18r reverse curve, i'd use the numbered switches if possible but if you can't there are ways to eliminate those s curves.

the problem, is that when your cars and locomotives go around curves, the ends with the couplers swing out. on a reverse curve, those ends are swinging out in opposite directions, and can easily derail your train. adding a section of straight track between the two curves minimizes the swing.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Balrog21

Thanks, Jerry and Jim, noted and noted! Man, I can't wait till Christmas to get this baby rolling!