News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Trouble with Bachmann E-Z track points

Started by ShadowMonk, December 16, 2012, 03:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowMonk

Hi all,

I have HO Bachmann E-Z track and I am having trouble with the points. Please look at the image below.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7180/img4678r.jpg

Now the point is set so Thomas can go straight forward, and I know in past experience that when a point is set like this, Percy (The green engine in the siding) will stay still and no power will go down that line.

When Thomas is at the top of the main line and points are switched towards Percy, Thomas shouldn't move and percy should really be the only engine that moves.

Unfortunately, this is not the case with Bachmann E-Z track. No matter where an engine is, or where the points are set, both locomotives move, and this is quite irritating. I am wondering if it is my set of points that are not working properly (Even though all my points do this), or if there is a way to make the points work like they should do, disconecting the lines where the points aren't set.

Cheers  :)

Steve

Doneldon

Steve-

D/C the red wire under the turnout.

-- D

ShadowMonk

Hi Doneldon,

I completley took apart the turnout (It is no longer useable), and there was no red wire underneath.

There was however a huge line of copper wire if that is what you are referring too?

Thanks,

Steve

ShadowMonk

I have done some research online and apparently all Bachmann Turnouts are "power routing turnouts", which only sends power to the line the points are switched at, which mine don't, the turnout sends power to all the lines regardless of what line it is set to.

Do I need to buy a certain type of turnout to give me this "power routing", or do I need to purchase some accessories to make my turnouts power routing?

Thanks

Steve

jward

those 18r switches aren't power routing, never have been. if you want to be able to park percy on a siding you will need to either buy a power routing switch, or (cheaper) gap the track on the siding and install a block selector.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ShadowMonk

Thanks for the info Jward.

Would it work if I removed the rail joiner and replaced it with a plastic one?

jward

yes, that is what you'd do on the siding.

you'd also need some sort of on-off switch to control power to the siding.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ShadowMonk

Thanks very much :)

I have removed the rail joiner from the turnout, I will soon purchase some plastic ones. Are you able to supply me with a catalog item number for these on-off switches?

Thanks

Steve

jward

atlas #205 connector. this item has 3 on-off switches in one housing. they are readily available at any decent hobby shop.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA