ATTN Bach-Man - Acela Cafe Car power truck gear pin/shaft question/problem

Started by jdg051, December 17, 2012, 07:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdg051

I recently purchased the Acela set.  I have noticed on the powered car that the pins/shafts which hold the gears in the power truck itself work themselves loose from their associated holes in the truck sideframes.  This causes the gear to fall in the truck and thus stoping the train from running.  I have noticed the flat metal contact which transfers power from the wheel to the circuit board rides up based on the rotation of the wheel and thus allows the pins to work free.  Is this an inherant problem or did I just get a bad one?  Also, are the pins supposed to be friction fit into the truck sideframes to prevent working loose.  Is there a remedy for my problem?  Thanks.

the Bach-man

Dear 051,
Give the service department a call. They'll replace your unit.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

jdg051

I called the Service Dept yesterday and the lady acted like she had no idea what I was talking about.  All it really needs is a new pair of trucks in my opinion.

jdg051

I did change out the decoder already and the unit runs well when it does run.  So if I could get some trucks if you had a name of someone specifically to call that would be appreciated.  The unit like I said runs well and I do not want to give it up if the trucks will (and should) fix the problem.  I'll even pay for them if you want me to. Thanks.

the Bach-man

Dear 051,
Try again. Ask for Bridget Wallace, the Service manager.
I'll make a call as well.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

jdg051

jdg051

Bridget Wallace is out until the first of the year.  However, spoke with a gentleman in parts and he was of no help partswise. No parts available to repair the loco so I guess I'm SOL. Anymore help you can suggest?  The guy mentioned the shafts are to be press fit and should not come out of the truck tower.  Mine (which was new) has this problem from the get go. So any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

the Bach-man

Dear 051,
I'll see what can be done. The offices are closed until Wednesday, but we'll see what we can do then.
Merry Christmas!
the Bach-man

jdg051

Bach-man - thanks for the response.  Hope you have a good holiday also.

jdg051

Bach-Man,

Have you been able to get in touch with anyone?  Tried calling the past 2 days and have left messages without a return phone call (understand it is the holidays).  Both of my Acela power cars are under warranty (have the reciept) so a truck swap would remedy the situation if that can be worked out.  Thanks again.

Jeff

the Bach-man

Hi, Jeff-
Hopefully everyone will be in and up to speed on Wednesday.
Happy New Year!
the Bach-man

jdg051

Two more days of no return phone calls nor anyone even willing to pick up the phone at Bachmann. Very poor.

As of today I have mailed my 2 Acela power cars back for repair. However I would also like to talk with someone about them. Neither Bridget nor Laura will return phone calls. Heck I can't even get someone in parts (n & HO or G), customer service, nor the operator at option '0' to even pick up a phone. I have tried at many different hours of the day each time I have called. Once again a very poor experience so far.

jdg051

Package was delivered today.  Again tried getting in touch with both Laura and Bridget today with no success.  However, I did speak with a gentleman in the Parts Department.  Explained what the situation was and his response/fix for me was to "epoxy everything in place". Doesn't sound like an actual fix to me but more a band-aid for a bad design. I almost sorry I sent the 2 cars in for repair especially if they have someone like that working on things there.

Bach-man - how come no-one likes to pick up the phone or return phone calls???

eddie3

I have had very similar experience with Bachmann on two locomotives I sent in for warranty repairs back in November. I sent a note to customer service on December 11 requesting the status and received a prompt reply from Laura in customer service stating my items were repaired December 5 and were on their way back to me....ok great.
Well it is now 3 weeks later and no word,returned calls nor returned emails or service requests from the numerous ones I sent...hmmm
Being new to this hobby and having spent many $$ for equipment,etc.....kinda leaves me wondering if I should continue purchasing Bachmann products .