Which train for Dickens village

Started by TheaK, December 17, 2012, 08:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheaK

Hello, I am new to trains and I would like to add one or two to my Dickens Village (dept. 56). Which one would be appropriate (Dickens) period wise, passenger train or other. Please help! :)

Jerrys HO

do not know much about Dickens but found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7UIj9Bfy4s

go to about 5:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Wb-ppkHro

Jerry

richg

Well it looks like he would want something in HO scale from the result of the below. Dicken's is mentioned.

Rich

We would like to add a train to our Village display. Which model train scale works best with your Villages?
There is not a definite scale to our Villages so the scale of train is your personal preference. However, collectors have told us The Original Snow Village is closest to "O" scale and the Heritage Village Collection, Dickens', Christmas In The City, North Pole, Alpine Village, New England Village is closest to "HO" scale.

richg

You will need track and power pack, though.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=510

This could work. Notice it is for ceramic villages. Complete set for $119.95.
I have bought quite a lot from Micro Mark.

No doubt there are other sellers.

http://www.micromark.com/christmas-street-car-set,10086.html

Rich

richg

NarrowMinded

Dept 56, lemax, home depot villages are roughly O scale (on the large side with the figures that are much too big for the houses, I run ON30 porters with mine and it looks OK.

But it's a Christmas only set up so I think fudging on the scale is acceptable.

NM-Jeff

the Bach-man

Dear TK,
I'd suggest our On30 trains, which look great with most Christmas villages.
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

Doneldon

Thea-

There really isn't an exact model for a Dickens Village but I would suggest O-scale (1:48) proportion running on narrow gauge track. On30, as mentioned by Narrow Minded. Those trains are built to a pretty good size for your village because real narrow gauge equipment is smaller than the equipment run on full-width track. It looks quite appropriate for a village.

The best choice and a viable alternative would be S-scale (1:64 proportion). It would be ideal size wise but you'll have to spend considerably more money that you would for comparable On30. The large extra cost is why most folks who run a train with a village, especially one like a Christmas village is only displayed a few weeks per year, use On30.

You can find a good selection of On30 trains at on line hobby shops or on eBay.

-- D

Pops

TheaK -

There are a few variables.  However, if it's just for a Christmas temporary display, you can use anything.

For more accuracy, with your Dickens Village, it depends on whether or not you use the Dept 56 people. If you use the people, O scale or the O scale that runs on HO track works well.

If you don't use D56 people, HO works best.  I have a year round "winter" layout and use HO.  I spent a long time trying to decide, and finally brought one of my Dickens buildings to a hobby shop and found it almost identical to HO buildings.  Since I use only scale figures, it works great.

Keep in mind the first train Dept. 56 came out with was HO, then after customers complained it didn't match the people, they came out with the larger O scale on HO track.

Next decide on the era and location.  The 1880s is a good typical time frame for the Dickens Village.  Where you envision the display to represent is also a factor.  I picture my layout in the US, so I've chosen the 4-4-0 American for my display.  There are many sets that would look good in this case, however, I wanted the better quality and sound that came with the Spectrum series.

If you picture yours more correctly in England, I would suggest a model of a British engine for the time period.  I'm not familiar with those, but I'm sure there are plenty available.  

Here again, your choice of buildings will have a bearing on location (or at least the names on the buildings).  Don't forget names are easily changed with computer labels that won't affect the value of the buildings.

The name of my layout is the Heritage Valley RR.  This is because I have a few carefully selected buildings from each of the Heritage Village collection to go with my Dickens Village collection.  I just registered the website for www.HeritageValleyRR.com and should start building the site in about a month.  I invite you to follow along with me when I do.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Pops

Also more thoughts -

Passenger cars are the most common choice to go with most of the Dickens stations, but a freight could work if you preferred.  Check on ebay and you might find some "Dickens Village" passenger cars.  I found a set of four.  There are also plenty of other era appropriate passenger/freight cars available.  

For example:    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-SCALE-MODEL-POWER-OLD-TIME-DICKENS-RAILROAD-COMPANY-PASSENGER-CARS-4-/300605386838?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item45fd7a3056

I was going to post some photos but a pop up said the download is full for now.  Maybe another time.

;)

Jeff - that's a neat looking display.  I'd love to see a larger photo of it.  Could you email me one?

Also - anyone in the New Hampshire area that's interested in a D56 club, let me know.  I am president of "The 56 Club" here and membership is open.

mabloodhound

You definitely want the On30 trains.   E-bay always has them as does the Favorite Spot.
I've used an On30 set with my Dept. 56 for years and it is the most realistic (if you can call Dicken's Village realistic)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

richg

rogertra

Did you know that Charles Dickens was involved in a railway accident?

From Wiki: -

Jump to: navigation, search Staplehurst rail crash

Details
Date 9 June 1865
Time 3:13 pm
Location Staplehurst, Kent
Country England
Rail line South Eastern Main Line
Cause Engineering possession error
Statistics
Trains 1
Deaths 10
Injuries 40

The Staplehurst accident was a derailment at Staplehurst, Kent on 9 June 1865 at 3:13 pm. The South Eastern Railway Folkestone to London boat train derailed while crossing a viaduct where a length of track had been removed during engineering works, killing ten passengers and injuring 40. In the Board of Trade report it was found that a man had been placed with a red flag 554 yards (507 m) away but the regulations required him to be 1,000 yards (910 m) away and the train had insufficient time to stop.

Charles Dickens was travelling with Ellen Ternan and her mother on the train; they all survived the derailment. He tended the victims, some of whom died while he was with them. The experience affected Dickens greatly; the lost his voice for two weeks and afterwards was nervous when travelling by train, using alternative means when available. Dickens died five years to the day after the accident; his son said that he had never fully recovered.

Franco Conte

This year I added a Bachman "Home for the Holidays" train to our Dept 56 Dicken's village.  It worked out just great.

I had to redesign the village layout and because of space restrictions it set on a 43 x 94 inch top with 2" foam board and mountains and hills on each side.  The tracks are graded so the rear rises 1.5 inches to the rear. If interested I can send photos.

Having trouble keeping the tender coupled to the engine and would appreciate any advice?

New to the model railroading business... and this site.  Can I post photos with this message?