News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turn out switches

Started by piet hein, December 18, 2012, 08:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piet hein

Hello: Am NOT well versed in trains. Bought my grandson  a small circular Thomas set. Needed to enlarge ,ofcourse, and added 2 switches and more track.
When One switch is hooked up it works fine. When the second switch is added it hums/buzzes, as if shorted. Have moved wires etc. Either switch works "normal" individually. What is the fix?

Thank you
Joey's grandpa
Piet

phillyreading

Would like to help you but need to know if it is H.O. or N or O gauge trains.
There are many brandnames in track for each scale, so that is why I am asking what size train please.

Lee F.

piet hein

Thank you for your answer. It is HO . The track is "the easy snap together type"

Piet

jward

you've successfully hooked up each switch individually. the switches themselves are fine, so the problem must lie elsewhere. when you hooked up each switch individually, did you uise the same cable for both? or did each use a seperate cable? did they both work from one control box, or did each work with its own indeividual box?

if you see what i am getting at, the problem is most likely in either the cable or the control box. i would suspect the latter due to the buzzing noise which inndicates the switch is getting power. btw, don't let them buzz for very long or you'll burn out the switch motor.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA