Hey Mr Bachmann or anyone who knows- what kind of plastic are the shells?

Started by Burlington Route, December 19, 2012, 11:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlington Route

I just acquired an O scale FM trainmaster shell which I plan on shortening to fit onto an HO scale DCC chassis for our On30 railroad...obviously a whimsical concept that my son and I came up with as he wants some diesel power for our roster aside from the On30 2-6-6-2 steamer and railbus we have.

What type of plastic is the shell made of so I can find the right bonding agent to glue the cut shell back together when done.
Styrene, ABS.....Anyone.....?

r0gruth

The catalog says they are ABS plastic.

Good luck with your project.
Roger

phillyreading

Quote from: Burlington Route on December 19, 2012, 11:50:58 AM
I just acquired an O scale FM trainmaster shell which I plan on shortening to fit onto an HO scale DCC chassis for our On30 railroad...obviously a whimsical concept that my son and I came up with as he wants some diesel power for our roster aside from the On30 2-6-6-2 steamer and railbus we have.

If you are looking for a diesel engine body, have you considered an S gauge diesel engine? Or you could see what either a department store or drug store like CVS has in the toy aisle to use as a shell, CVS has a few friction type toys that might be suitable, gut the toy and use the shell.

Lee F.

Burlington Route

Hey Lee, yes sir I did, but S scale engine shells just wasn't plentiful when I was hunting, so an O scale was nabbed for ease of acquisition.

LOL...My son just informed me he wants me to make a Rotory for the On30 too, like the one we have for the O scale. Hmmmm, now I've gotta go hunting boxcars...wooden would be nice, and a lone tender- if I'm building that it'll be a steam Rotory!