News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

r/c big hauler

Started by mf5117, December 16, 2012, 10:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf5117

is there a new version of the r/c big hauler other than the one from the late 80's . I found one but not sure if I want to buy it, so many don't work. they say this one does but hmmmm . and will bachmann ever make a newer version .

Loco Bill Canelos

There is no new version of the R/C 4-6-0 Big Hauler.   It is not likely it will ever be rerun.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

tomplatten

Mine was so unreliable I converted it to run from battery in a trailing boxcar! I don't even know where the controller is !

mf5117

Would it be possible to , or has any one ever took the guts from a r/c car or truck like the ones you by at walmart for $59.00  I have a couple of these in the attic . And fit the remote controller into a R/C Big Hauler . only for the forward and reverse and speed function . The one I picked up doesn't work as I figured . When these sets came out in the late 80's . Were they just a seasonal item or were they short lived .

Tony Walsham

It certainly would be possible to replace the stock R/C and speed controller with an after market R/C and ESC.
Provided the R/C is 2.4 GHz to overcome the interference problems of older AM type radios, pretty well any reversing brushed type ESC that can handle 7.2 volts would work.  Brushed ESC's are quite difficult to find nowadays, but they are around. 
But, is it worth it?  For a start you would lose the sound and the speed control is a bit ON - OFF in action.
Expect to pay around US$50 for the TX and RX and about US$30 for a suitable ESC. 
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).