News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann SP Daylight help

Started by bionicjcs, December 21, 2012, 09:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bionicjcs

Hi, newbie here.  Can anyone tell me if there is any difference at all between the Bachmann southern Pacific steamer 50201 and 50202?  Only think I can determine is different road numbers  4446 and 4449

Doneldon

bio-

Your assumption is correct; the only difference is the cab number.

Welcome to model railroading and this board. I'm sure you'll find that the wide-ranging skills
involved with this hobby will always offer new things to learn and some special parts which will
hold your interest throughout your life. That's been my experience for nearly 60 years.

-- D

bionicjcs

Thank you, Don, for the hospitality and the information

NOW, do you know if I can get a sound only decoder that will work with this?

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

The difference between the two is non-existent. Now if it were the American Freedom Train one or one of the discontinued Wartime Black ones like the 4459 compared to the either daylights one, that is a different story. As for the sound decoder, the only sound only one I can think of that would be worth it is a Digitrax soundbug decoder which you just splice into the normal DCC Motion decoder. Otherwise you could go with a Soundtraxx TSU-1000 Heavy Steam Decoder with a 1" diameter speaker and enclosure with an eight pin plug fitted to it.

bionicjcs

Thanks.  Ill have to wait till it gets here to see what plugs it has.  I see two coming out of the tender that look flat in the picture.    I would like something that would be compatible just to plug in.  After it is in, do I have to do any fancy programming?  Im using Prodigy express

Doneldon

bio-

The wires coming out of the tender just connect to the loco. The plug
for the decoder is inside the tender.

-- D

richg

Quote from: bionicjcs on December 22, 2012, 10:19:04 AM
Thanks.  Ill have to wait till it gets here to see what plugs it has.  I see two coming out of the tender that look flat in the picture.    I would like something that would be compatible just to plug in.  After it is in, do I have to do any fancy programming?  Im using Prodigy express

Do yourself a favor, go look at the loco diagrams in the Parts and Service page link near the top of this page. In fact, take time to look though all the Bachmann pages. Many come here and fail to do that,

If you get the Tsunami, look at the below link on how to plug in. Get the adapter also. There is a link to a DCC supplier on that link that I have bought from.
Store the links in Favorites.

http://www.mrdccu.com/curriculum/soundtraxx/tsunami.htm

You will have to solder two wires to the speaker.

If you get a Digitrax sound and motion decoder with attached speaker, remove the present decoder and plug in. Ganging a on board with a sound only decoder may not be very easy but I have never tried this.

A lot of DCC is not plug and play so try not to make assumptions. It is good that you asked here before buying.

bionicjcs

Thanks but all that research and soldering etc. is way too intensive for me.  I need to find one that just should plug in.  If they dont make it, Ill prolly forget it.  I guess ill try calling Bachmann direct and see if they have anything.