News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Big Boy

Started by MPSOUTHERN, December 25, 2012, 08:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPSOUTHERN

Hi Mr Bachmann.If Union Pacific succeeds with their plan to restore and operate Big Boy #4014,is there any chance Bachmann could be persuaded to produce an HO scale Spectrum version with tsunami sound?Or even a sound value version?If so I'm sure I would not be the only one who would be buying.

RAM

I think the only way Bachmann would come out with the big boy would be if they brought out some company that has already been making one.

Doneldon

MP-

There are a number of Big Boy models already so I'd be very surprised if Bachmann would make one. The tooling would be incredibly expensive
and I'm not sure that there would be a lot of sales. Big Boys are GIGANTIC locomotives. Very few layouts can accomodate them and there is
a limited number of people who would drop a load of dough on an engine which has to live as a static display. And there wouldn't be any choice
about dolling the thing up. It's unrealistic to expect to sell a loco without DCC and sound, even if the loco isn't to be run. That will push the cost
even higher, cutting some potential customers out of the market.                   

-- D

rbryce1

Big Boy is really nice.  Doneldon  is most likely accurate in the extremely high cost of tooling and making this locomotive.  Many people who can run them and have the bucks to get one most likely already have one.  Several mfg's already make one.  Marklin has had a very high priced one for a while now, in DC as well as DCC.  Riverossi also has one for a much lower cost and two years ago, MTH released another one.  Why would Bachmann compete in a market that already has a several 4-8-8-4' s when they already have a 2-8-8-4?  I can run one on ONE track, and I am very content with my EM1.  Even if they brought out a Big Boy, I can't see me dropping those kind of bucks for another monster that only has one more steering axle.  Can't see Bachmann selling one for that much less than the Riverossi or the MTH in a very limited market.

MPSOUTHERN

Your points are well taken,and to an extent I would have to agree with your reasoning.I was just thinking that since Bachmann has decided to venture into the world of articulation they might capitalize on the popularity of a living,breathing Big Boy.But then I'm not the one who has to pay for the tooling.I have the EM1 and am very satisfied with it.I have two 2-6-6-2s which run good,however the chuff sounds like someone knocking two sticks together.So it's not that I need a Big Boy for my layout.But if Bachmann decides to produce them,I would purchase one. 

electrical whiz kid

Some time ago, Bachmann came out with the 2-6-6-2, a really neat locomotive that runs really well, and adapts to a DCC install.  I can name at least four mfgrs who have (or had) a 4-8-8-4 in catalogue.  To my knowledge, the Union Pacific is the only road that had these Alco bohemoths-and they were huge!  With all of that in mind, I would say the chances of Bachmann jumping into the big boy fray are about as good as elephants becoming carnivores.  The 2-6-6-2 was and is a winner, and Bachmann apparently knows it.
Rich C.