Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

how good is model spray paint ?

Started by union pacific 844, January 14, 2013, 10:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 844

richg

It is only as good as the user.
There are minor differences between brands and opinions exist on different brands.
It is very easy to use too much paint from cans and cause runs.
You will need to practice. You will find much more waste from cans than an air brush. There are single action and double action air brush guns.
I have used cans and an air brush and both took some practice.

I just did a Google seach for:

spray paint cans model railroad

and got a bunch of results. Go ahead and do the same thing. You will get some useful ideas with links you can store.
I suggest research as spray painting can be a challenge depending on what you are painting. Proper masking tape is needed for masking off places you do not want paint on and that takes some practice to have to different colors next to each other without a thick line. Some masking tape is better than others.
I was able to do better with an air brush.

Rich

union pacific 844

can i just pay some one to do it for me i don't care the cost  i just don't want to ruin my models

electrical whiz kid

A good starting point is to ask your LHS if they know of anyone who will paint the model for you-and make sure they know what they are doing.  A very long time ago there was a guy named Charlie Meade in Fairfield County, Ct.  he is dead, but there is a lot of good talent.  If you are from Connecticut, check out the Hobby Gallery in Wolcott.
Rich C.

union pacific 844

nope im in ILLINOIS and don't have a  LHS here in the town i live in

rogertra

Why start this new thread?  You've already asked these questions on the other thread you started.

Besides, is the question really necessary?

How good do you really think model spray paint is? 

If it was no good, nobody would use it!

Right?

RAM

OK 844,  Yes you can have some one paint it for you, but it will cost you big bucks.  Let me say this.  no one is born knowing how to use an air brush.  They must learn how.  You don't start out planting a 100.00 locomotive.  No you start with some junk.  An old car that you don't like.  Do a search on using an airbrush.  After you play around with it a little you will get the hang of it.  Never say you can't without trying.

wjstix

Why not pick up some cheap freight cars, like at a model railroad flea market, and try painting those before trying to tackle an engine?? Practice makes perfect!!

Whenever possible, I paint with Tamiya spray can paints. They're military colors, but there often are colors that work for railroading too. Their cans spray a much finer spray than the typical can of spray paint, and you can get results as good as an airbrush at least when doing overall coverage (it doesn't work as well if trying to do weathering, but I don't really use paint to weather with anyway.)

Jerrys HO

As Jonathan posted in your other thread spray bombs work fine as long as you prep and take your time painting your piece. I use them for just about everything.

Jerry

NuthinDragginOwt

844, here is a good link to show how to paint models with spray paint, it maybe a automobile model, but model trains get painted in the same manner. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7NH5iZX7Lk

The others who have posted on here have all given great advice on how to paint, the most important things are light coats and patience.

jward

i have a friend who custom paints. if you want somebody to do the job right it will cost you $50-100 or more. that's for a basic single colour paint job. add more for more colours.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

union pacific 844

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CJCrescent

If you're going to use a custom painter, there are a few things you should find out before deciding on one.

First is what is the cost. Is this based on difficulty, # of colors, type of paint used, are the decals included.

Second is how long will it take. Many painters have a backlog of several months, and some will take on your job, but not actually get to it until August.

Third can they show you some examples of their work. A custom painter that can't show you some good close-up photos of their work, wouldn't be one that I would use.

Fourth can they tell you their process in painting, as in, "I will disassemble the loco down to the chassis, clean all the old grease and oil out, strip the old paint, and make any detail repairs of parts that fell off doing this. Then the loco will be media blasted to give the body some teeth for the paint to hold to. Then the loco ....."

You need to find all this out. A custom painter that answers these questions is one to trust. I was a custom painter for almost 30 years. When I got a "bid" on a paint job, this was just some of the information I provided to the client.

Keep it Between the Rails
Carey
Alabama Central Railway