Hey Mr B, how about a small 2-8-0 for the Spectrum range?

Started by Searsport, December 27, 2012, 05:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

Recently,v Athearn (Horizon Models) brought back MDC's 2-8-0 from the mists of time, and it is available.  This is yet another 2-8-0, and yet another reaason for bachmann not to invest in tooling to replicate a simile.  In business,things tend run a little more logically than that.  Thank God.
Rich C

Johnson Bar Jeff

If there is a market for a Spectrum 2-8-0, the fact that other manufacturers also have 2-8-0s on the market shouldn't necessarily be a deterrent. Look at how many PRR K4 Pacifics from different manufacturers have been available at the same time.

RAM

electrical whiz kid

RAM;
I cannot speak for a 2-10-2; I have "done" two of the Bachmann SantA Fes  and to me , they look good.  I showed pictures of them to the "bach-mann" at the show in Springfield several years back and he nodded his head in approval (or so I think...), but I digress...
As I have mentioned several times before, I had bought two SY mikes, eyed them lecherously, and then pounced on them mightily to create not only an Americanized version, but the two "Green Card Mikes (ahhhhhh so!).  If I, in my not-too-dexterous ability can produce from the womb of my depraved cranium to the workbench, this wonderous coal-consuming midget, than anyone can.  If I may dare a thought; I think mine are better looking than the one at Connecticut Valley railroad-arched windows and all...
Rich C. 

ryeguyisme

Quote from: ebtnut on December 31, 2012, 03:18:08 PM

Another sutiable loco would be the 2-8-0 that is running on the Valley RR in Essex, CT.

Sign me up for those!!! I would love a few of those. Not too small by not as big as the post-spectrum Connie

electrical whiz kid

Hey Rye;
Did you ever use those parts off the SY?  The two locomotives in Essex I like are #40, and that little 2-8-0.  When I was in the club, they wouldn't believe me when I told them it had 48" or smaller-drivers.  I got some great shots of all three steamers a while back, as well as the little 0-6-0T.
Rich C.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on January 06, 2013, 10:44:40 AM
Hey Rye;
Did you ever use those parts off the SY?  The two locomotives in Essex I like are #40, and that little 2-8-0.  When I was in the club, they wouldn't believe me when I told them it had 48" or smaller-drivers.  I got some great shots of all three steamers a while back, as well as the little 0-6-0T.
Rich C.

Yes Rich I did, I ended up making a freelance Chinese Modernized Mogul from it, which reminds me, I should buy the cowcatcher and other SY parts considering they're now available through the parts store haha

Yes the Engines at Essex have tiny driver's, if you ever compare the engines to a AAR Boxcar and then compare other engines to the same thing, the difference is astounding

Handsome Devil

Think it reasonable request to model the Ma&Pa type 2-8-0, it would rock like all the other "Spectrum" models do. Interesting thread with a lot of pro/con reasoning. Saw no sarcasim, only slightly different perspectives. All which have merrit.

I agree the old Roundhouse 2-8-0 is actually a good substitute as they have a lot of potential and actually run decent. Would rather see a small non USRA 2-8-2, preferably something along the lines of the #70 that is now again running in WA state. A non proto-typical mike like the SY with USA modifications would be a cheap way to capitalize on tooling and engineering already done as well. Coming from an older school background, I think the modeler can take something like the old Roundhouse Ma&Pa type 2-8-0 and quite easily make a real nice custom locomotive, same for the SY in it's original form. It is great when someone like Bachman makes exactly what you want, especially in the smaller tonnage locomotive, but in the meantime with a little effort we as modelers can come up with some real nice custom examples.

When I look at some of the locomotives that have been availabe for years that are still produced and have a lot of potential with just a small amount of "kit bashing" or customizing, the Roundhouse 2-8-0 and of all things the Mantua Logging 2-6-6-2 comes to mind. They run very nice as is and with minor customizing one can have a great non brass locomotive. For those that remember what it was like back in the 60s and 70s as to what was available, you can sure appreciate the quality stuff available now, meaning you don't have to buy brass if you don't want too. While I too would like to see some more small steam come out like the wonderful 4-6-0s and Russian 2-10-0 there is still a lot that can be done till the next one comes out. The RTR out of the box quality that Bachman has come out with has us spoiled rotten, not all bad of course. Cheers, John.

jward

i have one of those roundhouse 2-8-0s and it is not only a decent runner, but a decent puller as well. this brings up one minor complaint i have with bachmann locomotives overall. the upgrade in running quality is light years ahead of the bachmann locos i knew as a kid, but they are all too light. would it be possible to design some added weight into the next batch of new locomotives so we don;t have  to figure out where to add it ourselves? with diesels this isn't much of an issue, you simply add another just like the real railroads do. with steam this generally isn't realistic as each added engine needed its own crew and the real railroads tried to avoid doubleheading as much as possible.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Quote from: jward on January 21, 2013, 11:26:51 AM
one minor complaint i have with bachmann locomotives overall. they are all too light. would it be possible to design some added weight into the next batch of new locomotives so we don;t have  to figure out where to add it ourselves?

Jeff-

Not as easy or inexpensive as one might think. Just recall the last Bachmann steam engine you modified with extra weight. Were the added pieces nice, regular shapes like boxes, or were they very irregular, custom shapes because you used shot or old nuts and bolts to fill a void somewhere, like in the stack, smokebox, cab roof, domes, thin strips inside the boiler and so on? Each such piece would cost a good deal of money to manufacture because few would fit in more than one loco unless Bachmann were to use the same stacks, domes, etc., on all of their products. Then we'd be complaining that they've stunk up the joint with non-prototypical details just to save a few cents. And, adding those pieces would increase costs for labor and parts inventory. This will surely add to the price, a change few of us would welcome.

My guess is that many modelers run their Bachmann steam with shorter consists than what the biggie railroads ran. This is fine on the average home layout which is most often a 4x8 and only rarely a sprawling layout which fills a basement in order to accommodate long trains. The minority of model rails who have a huge layout or who take equipment to a club layout can still reweight their locomotives and detail or weather them. But the folks with smaller pikes and those who are happy with out-of-the-box appearance would be discouraged by higher prices. Let me be clear that I am NOT criticizing folks who don't modify or redecorate their equipment; that is an absolutely appropriate way to be a model railroader. I'm just pointing out that many modelers don't feel the need to rework their locos and they wouldn't appreciate the costs added for those of us who do enjoy that part of the hobby. Since, by my observation, the out-of-the-box folks outnumber the rest of us, it is appropriate for Bachmann and other manufacturers to pitch their products that way. The rest of us can still go full bore into our modeling but we don't have to if we don't want to. And, last, I have to say that I have not been pleased with the few models I have with factory weathering so even a feature designed to appeal to people like me didn't make me a happy soul.

-- D

jward

don,
to be honest, i am a diesel man. it's my fiance who loves steam, and what steam i have was bought with her in mind. as such i haven't tinkered much with weighting them.  i know that the roundhouse 2-8-0 proves it can be done. i also know that one will pull about 10 cars on a 4% grade. the bachmann 2-6-0 i have, thought a larger engine, barely pulls half that.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Jeff-

A Mogul is a much lighter-duty loco than a Connie. They would probably pull more than half of what a Connie would in real life but definately less. Hills can distort pulling ability because a loco's balance is exaggerated on a grade, particulrly with non-equalized steamers like Bachmann's. I'll bet the Mogul can pull at least 75% of what a Connie will on level track.

Listen to your fiance. She's right that steam is where it's at.

-- Doneldon

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on January 21, 2013, 11:57:48 PM
Jeff-

A Mogul is a much lighter-duty loco than a Connie. They would probably pull more than half of what a Connie would in real life but definately less. Hills can distort pulling ability because a loco's balance is exaggerated on a grade, particulrly with non-equalized steamers like Bachmann's. I'll bet the Mogul can pull at least 75% of what a Connie will on level track.

Listen to your fiance. She's right that steam is where it's at.

-- Doneldon

On level track, my 2-6-0s can each pull at least 16 cars plus van with no problem and probably more but as my Arrival-Departure track only takes 16 cars plus van, I've not tried more.  I'm use one of the 2-6-0s as a yard switcher, so no need to pull more than 16 cars per lift.  The other 2-6-0 takes one of the way freights.

Limey

I know C.N. had Baldwin 2-8-0's so count me in for at least a couple.

Limey.

jward

don,
my fiance has never seen a live alco at work.....lol
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA