Hey Mr B, how about a small 2-8-0 for the Spectrum range?

Started by Searsport, December 27, 2012, 05:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

RAM and Rich C.

Even though I freelance, I'm one of the prototype types.  :)

On my GER, it's got to meet certain criteria.

1)  It's got to be suitable for 1958.

2)  It's got to be suitable for southern Quebec.

However, I do have two exceptions.  There were no light axle loading 2-10-0s on either the CNR or CPRs rosters in southern Quebec but I needed a few light axle loading engines.  These were for use on a branch line that in the GER story was built with light weight rail and bridges.  At the time, the 4-6-0s and 2-6-0s weren't available at the time so I used the Russian 2-10-0s.  In my defense, the 2-10-0s have been modified to make them look less Russian.  The use of light axle loading 2-10-0s is plausible.

The other is the use of RS-1s.  No railway in Canada used RS-1s except for second hand ones after the period I model.  My excuse is the American subsidiary purchased the RS-1s when the line across Northern Maine was dieselised as a diesel experiment.  The GER purchased FA-1 and FB-1s for road power and RS-1s for yard and way freight work.  Again, plausible.  This is why the RS-1s don't have m.u. capability.

That's what I do and that's what I like to do with my model railway.  Because of my self imposed "rules", you'll not see 2-8-4s nor articulated steam, because they were not common in Canada.  By having these self imposed rules, I also control my spending and do not impulse buy as following rules 1 and 2 limit my purchases.  :)

Having said all that, if you disagree and want to run 4-4-0s pulling autoracks and techno-toasters pulling a train of reefers all labelled for individual states then more power to you.  If that turns your crank, who am I to say you are wrong?

There is no right or wrong way.

ebtnut

The light Baldwin 2-8-0 such as the Ma and Pa engine was almost a stock item.  As with most steam locos, the customer RR's could order them up with their own choice of appliances, cab styles, etc.  The B&O had some very similar locos that they acquired with the Coal and Coke RR.  I also like the idea of the E-24/H-6 loco that both B&O and PRR had.  The Varney Old Lady/Casey Jones model came from the period when some manufacturers chose to do sort of "generic" models.  The Varney models shared most all the same parts - boiler/cab, drivers, cylinder blocks, tenders.  Only the frames were different.  It resembles an SP prototype, but also resembles a Southern 2-8-0, one of which was once in tourist service on the Morris County Central RR in New Jersey.  I once took the mech from a 4-6-0, cut off the frame ahead of the center driver, added a frame extension and a four-wheel pilot truck and mated a Kemtron Wabash Mogul superstructure to it to make and interesting sort-of modern 4-4-0. 

Another sutiable loco would be the 2-8-0 that is running on the Valley RR in Essex, CT.

electrical whiz kid

Hey Ram; you were saying about...nitpickers?  On the other site?
Rich C.

ebtnut

Per my previous post, go here for a sample of a light 2-8-0 on the B&O that came from the M&K RR: http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/bo413s.jpg

rogertra

Quote from: ebtnut on December 31, 2012, 04:28:36 PM
Per my previous post, go here for a sample of a light 2-8-0 on the B&O that came from the M&K RR: http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/bo413s.jpg

Good choice but what we are all forgetting is that Bachmann is not run by a bunch of railfans, it's run by a bunch of suits who probably don't even live in North America.  They will look at their range and say to themselves, "We already have a 2-8-0 and it's a good one, why do we need another?"

the Bach-man

Hey Roger-
When last I checked, Philadelphia is in North America, as is New York, where I live- and I don't wear a suit!
Many of us are railfans, but we all consider many factors before investing hundreds of thousands of dollars in new projects.
I read every post every night, and share all these suggestions with the group.
Happy New Year!
the Bach-man

rogertra

Mr. B.

With all due respect, as far as I know, Bachmann is owned by "Kader Industrial Company Limited" which was founded in Hong Kong in 1948 by Ting Hsiung Chao with a large interest owned by the Ting family. It was listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in 1985 and presently trades under the name of "Kader Holdings Company Limited".

The company today is one of the world's largest manufacturers of toy and hobby railways, for which we are grateful.

While the management team in Philadelphia will have major input into selection of North American models the same as the team running Bachmann UK does for their market, when push come to shove, Bachmann is owned by Kader Industrial Company Limited, a company based in China. These are the people who are probably not railfans and wear suits.  :)

Happy New Year everyone.

electrical whiz kid

Roger and Dave (Mr. Bach-mann);
This is the kind of thread that would send me screaming into the begonias. There turns out to be less that satisfactory feedback.  Who cares who owns what?  We (consumers) make money, we buy a product that makes each of our lives uniquely interesting.  This started out with the simple question would Bachmann consider producing a smaller version of a 2-8-0 that already in catalogue, and we have heard everything from 1-inch longer cabs, to marketing psychology with everything in between.
Very little [came] out it the thread that would do an uninitiated person or someone who would genuinely wonder any good or be of help.  I untimately feel just as dumb for dropping my two-cents worth into the puddle.  How about let's all start being a bit more constructive in our feedback-myself included?  I'd say this would be a peach of a day to start.
Rich C.

rogertra

Rich C.

The people going on about a new 2-8-0 need to be brought back to reality and bringing threads back to reality is more constructive then just agreeing with the subject, in this case, a smaller 2-8-0.

And the reality is, Bachmann already do make a 2-8-0, the best 2-8-0 on the market and the model that is 100% responsible for the resurgence of well detailed, excellent running steam that we have today.  Not only are Bachmann responsible for this resurgence in North America but they are also responsible for the same thing in the UK where r.t.r standards in both steam and diesel models were lagging behind even North America.

Therefore, the reality is that Bachmann already have the best 2-8-0 on the North American market, why should they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in tooling for another?  Yes, in the UK market they produce several duplicate wheel arrangement models but the UK market and hobby are different from North America.   In the UK, modellers will not tolerate any model, from freight car to top of the line passenger engine from one company painted in the colours of another.  It just doesn't happen.  Therefore, you will have say 4-6-2s from the LNER, LMS and SR and, in fact, several classes of 4-6-2 from each railway because that's how the UK market works.

In North America, we take a GP9 and paint it in the colours of multiple different roads even though the details for each road are incorrect.   We do the same for freight cars as well.   Something that would not be tolerated in the UK but we do it here.

Yes, I'd love another 2-8-0, and in fact a 2-8-2 and 4-6-2, all to Spectrum standards and that are not USRA designs and were somewhat generic but am I holding my breath?  No.  Because I'm realistic.

Bachmann, please prove me wrong?  :)

Doneldon

How about we all take a deep breath and recognize that, not only
are we all entitled to our own opinions, those different opinions
are among the things which make model railroading, and even life
in general, worthwhile.

-- Doneldon

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: ebtnut on December 31, 2012, 03:18:08 PM
Another sutiable loco would be the 2-8-0 that is running on the Valley RR in Essex, CT.

Or how about the 2-8-0 on the New Hope & Ivyland?

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: rogertra on January 01, 2013, 02:36:36 PM
Therefore, the reality is that Bachmann already have the best 2-8-0 on the North American market, why should they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in tooling for another?

As long as the current engine continues to sell well, there is probably no reason for it. Perhaps the day will come when sales will drop off. Then it might be time to phase out the current model--at least for a few years--and introduce a new one.

Create a market for an engine that people don't even know they currently need.  ;D

rogertra

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on January 01, 2013, 06:07:44 PM
Quote from: rogertra on January 01, 2013, 02:36:36 PM
Therefore, the reality is that Bachmann already have the best 2-8-0 on the North American market, why should they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in tooling for another?

As long as the current engine continues to sell well, there is probably no reason for it. Perhaps the day will come when sales will drop off. Then it might be time to phase out the current model--at least for a few years--and introduce a new one.

Create a market for an engine that people don't even know they currently need.  ;D

Before the introduction of the 2-8-0, the GER was set firmly in 1978 and was an all diesel freight road.

Then Bachmann introduced the Spectrum 2-8-0.  I saw one demonstrated at the LHS and promptly purchase two and put down payments on two more.   Finally, an excellent running, well detailed, r.t.s, plastic steam locomotive that rivaled expensive, poor running brass imports.

From then on, the GER was committed to 1958 and being a steam and diesel railroad set firmly in 1958 and I've never looked back.  Anything, from locomotives, through freight cars, to road vehicles and even signage on buildings if it wasn't around in 1958, was either sold, repainted, re-decaled, or re-lettered.

As I wrote before, the Spectrum 2-8-0 changed the industry for the better.

NevinW

I am not sure that the current Spectrum 2-8-0 should be that much of a deterent to the making of a smaller slide valve 2-8-0.  The current 2-8-0 is a fantastic model and I have owned 6-8 in the past, but it is a larger more model era model with piston valves. 

Bachmann has already made smaller models based on the Maryland & Pennsylvania RR 4-6-0 and 4-4-0 that are great and I don't think the current 2-8-0 had any effect on those.  Spectrum models based on the smaller M&P 2-8-0 and 0-6-0 would be fantastic for those of us who model pre-WW1 eras.  Something the size of the MDC 2-8-0 but with Spectrum detailing would be wonderful and I'd buy a number of them.  -  Nevin

ebtnut

Check out the product review section of the latest Model Railroader for an old/new option for a light 2-8-0.