News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

two truck shay 81199 headlight

Started by stantona, December 27, 2012, 01:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stantona

I have the #81199 2 truck shay with the front headlight out. (The rear light works.) I cannot figure out how to disassemble the unit enough to fix the problem. Is there a bulb to replace? Or is there a LED with long leads? What is the way to go about fixing the light? I'm sure someone knows.

Thanks and Happy New Year,

stantona
stantona

stantona

I cannot tell by looking at it. The front of the engine pops off the front revealing the wires, two of which go up to the headlight. It appears the front of the headlight should pop off as well, or at least swing open. But I don't want to force it in case I'm wrong in which case I will create more problems.

Hope you find your notes. Thanks for taking the time.

Stantona
stantona

charon

81xxx are the first run shays, 82xxx the second run.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Loco Bill Canelos

The front "glass" does come out to allow you to remove the led or bulb. I use a flat mini screwdriver or a thin pointed hobby knife to get it out.  Don't drop it on a carpet as it is hard to see if you do!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

stantona

It appears that I need a bulb and not a LED going by what I've read so far. Any idea what bulb I need to get?

I'll try to get the bulb out first and that might tell me all I need to know.

Thanks for all the help to all of you.

Stantona
stantona

glennk28

Miniatronics has "golden white" LED's that really look good--come with ballast resistors--test before you solder the wires to make sujre the polarity is right.  the LED's last almost forever.  gj

stantona

Well, I took the bulb out and it does look like a bulb and not a LED. I looked around in my parts and I see I have some LEDs that are labeled 1v Min to 3v Max. Do you know what the typical voltage is that runs to the wires for the head light?

Thanks again,
Stantona
stantona

Loco Bill Canelos

The voltage to the headlight is variable (0 to as much as 24 volts depending on the power supply) when there is an incandescent bulb.  I use a 1000 ohm resistor  in the circuit when replacing a incandescent bulb with an LED to avoid blowing it out.

stantona

Thanks, Bill, and what voltage LED do I use with that 1000 ohm resistor? I see that Miniatronics has some white LEDs that they call a Yeloglo White. The bulb that I removed from the engine is 4mm x 7mm. Would you then recommend the 3mm LED that they have? Also, there is a note by the LED that says "You must use a 560 ohm resistor that is included in the package". Would you still use the 1000 ohm or their 560 ohm?

Thanks for the help. You can tell I don't have a "feel" for this work and I know there are many variables and options.

BTW, I've flown over you many times in the past. I flew for TWA and, of course, we went into St Louis a few times. Those days are long gone.

Happy New Year

Stantona
stantona

Loco Bill Canelos

You are welcome.  Use it with any LED.  The ones you have will be fine if you are happy with the color. Like Glen I prefer the golden white or the warm white rather than the bluish color ones.  More like the older headlights of days gone by. The 560 Ohms will be ok as well. If the maker says 560 is what to use then it is best to use them.  I have lots of 1000 Ohm Resistors and use them pretty much for everything.  If too much power gets past the resistor. it will burn it out.  Don't be afraid to tinker and experiment a bit. the worst you will do is burn out the LED. I have burn out many and currently use a bunch of warm white LEDS I scavenged from a string of Christmas led's that I got at a Walmart cheap.  I have put them in Locos cabooses passenger cars buildings, and you name it!!

Best to you as well and have fun!!

Bill

stantona

OK Bill, I thought I'd follow up since some of you guys were so nice to help me.

I called Miniatronics and the woman there was of no help and really was sort of rude. She basically told me to get lost until I decided to order and even then don't call but use the web site and don't bother her. That was all I needed to scratch that company.

Then I ran across another company called Evan Designs, modeltrainsoftware.com, and they were very helpful and less than two days I had my order. The bulb came with the resistor and a rectifier and ready to be installed.

Installation of the LED was simple; so far the new headlight works great.

Thanks to those that helped. It was a learning experience about LEDs and I appreciate the replies. Actually, it was fun and now I plan to use more LEDs in other models as well as the railroad.

Alex

stantona

Loco Bill Canelos

Alex,  Good to hear of your success and thanks for the tip on EVan Designs, sorry to hear about the Miniatronics as they are usually good.

There are a lot of great guys on this site always willing to share their knowledge that is for sure!

Bill