News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Replacing the old horn hook couplers

Started by Balrog21, December 28, 2012, 08:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

balrog.

i strongly advise you against following that video. just because you "can " do something doesn't mean you should. the evils of truck mounted couplers have already been discussed. what hasn't been touched on yet is the criticality of coupler height with knuckle couplers. any mismatch of height, and they won't stay coupled. did you notice that he just slapped the couplers into the boxes without checquing them against a coupler height guage? from my experience with conversions like this years ago, using the existing truck mounted coupler boxes usually results in couplers being too low. i guarantee that if you try to take this shortcut you will have alot of coupler problems you really don't want.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Balrog21

yeah, i noticed that as well. it's just a starting point for me from a clueless new train lover. thanks again though for the heads up!

rbryce1

Another thing you may have noticed is that the coupler that came out had an extremely small pin hole, and the one that went back in had a hole over three times the size.  Normally you would insert a round spacer that Kadee sells to adjust for the hole size, but he didn't even do that.  What a mess!

jward

not a problem. just trying to keep others from making the same mistakes i did years ago. experience is a powerful teacher.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

electrical whiz kid

utDave;
I have one of those tool, and you are right; it is good.  A part of my proceedure is when I am changing a truck to good wheelsets, I will ream out the axle pockets, and give the pocket a squirt or two of graphite.
Rich C. 

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

jbrock27

Didn't you read about the method the OP was posting about?
Keep Calm and Carry On