News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What On30 diesel do I want to make?

Started by Burlington Route, December 29, 2012, 11:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlington Route

While waiting for the new year to come, I started messing with what a body would look like over the chassis. This is a drawing of a GE class 91...I kind of like the lil hood on it.

The trucks are crude in the drawing since the emphasis is on how the body fits over the chassis and I'd probably keep the EMD side frames for ease of the build. "If" my conversion specs are correct and the line drawing was right, this is what I got. You'll note I drew up a 7' and an 8' cab width...according to my conversion of metric and by the line drawing the cab was to come in at 8' 4" realtime...I knocked it down to 8' on the one drawing to simply round things up. I kind of like the 8' cab width.
I really wanted to do the UM10B but the large flat area in front of the cab is too hard to do since the drive assembly would get in the way...the frame could be redone, but that truck drive can't - unless I really fudged the body longer to accomodate that.
Ok, thoughts/critisms/opinions on this one with either cab.....I've got 1-2 more to draw up yet...this is just one idea of a semi modern engine- if you'd call late 50s to early 60s a modern motive power.

Burlington Route

Alright, my son and I have decided last night to just start this off with the drawn up plans as posted above.
I bought a dcc on board SD40-2 last night for another bash when I'm done here. "TFS" on ebay- $45 BIN and only $33 after my aquired ebay bucks were applied- I had to do it...anyway, with that one I want to try a version of that UM10B but it'll have C trucks and be a tad longer.{wouldn't that make it a UM10C then?}

Still haven't totally nailed down a replacement dcc sound board for the current project, but it'll most likely be one of the TSU-1000 boards that has the optional ditch/mars lights - I'm thinking about either ditch lights or do the end and cab side by side lights as alternating flash. Speaker and enclosure will no doubt be in the top of the main body somewhere behind the cab...time to grab a sheet of .040 and start cutting the main body pieces.

I'll post progress pics for those who wish to see the build and for anyone elses amusement.

Burlington Route

I've got the deck and main body cut out now but still need to square things up and cut out the nose pieces...it's a start.

Burlington Route

Sorry, I've really neglected this thread- but not the build!
Main body was started-

Got the doors and latches done on the RH side-

Cab is started as well as the LH side doors and latches-

...she's gettin there...

Burlington Route

on30gn15

Edit - okay, I'm late to the party and didn't realize there was page 2 here  :-[
Oh well  ;D

How about an interpretation of this. Funky truck sideframes.
www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=426645
QuoteLocomotive Details    Location/Date of Photo
   » Administración de Ferrocarriles del Estado (more..)
» Alsthom BB 56 Ton (more..)    » ANCAP Portland Cement facilities (more..)
» Paysandú, Uruguay (more..)
» February 16, 2013

Or this.
Warning - sunglasses required for viewing - that's a bright yellow!
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=426434

» Deutsche Bahn (more..)
» BR 203 (more..)    » Recklinghausen Hbf. (more..)
» Recklinghausen, Germany (more..)
» February 22, 2013

Something more US hood unit looking but still unusual
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=425024
   » United States Army (more..)
» GG20B (more..)    » DGRC Yard (more..)
» Hill AFB, Utah, USA (more..)
» February 14, 2013

"And now for something completely different."
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=423092
or
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=398517
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Burlington Route

I like the army engine alot...and while I like some of the euro engines, I'm stiucking to a "no buffer" type...at least for now{maybe someday with the correct matching cars for that}. 

GG1onFordsDTandI

Hey burlinton any progress? New  pics? As quick as you were moving I thought you would be done by now. Looks good so far. 

Burlington Route

It kind of got pushed off to the side...hit 2 snags,
1]..haven't picked out a speaker so I can't install the top of the body till then.
2]..lost my job of 26yrs last friday...need to address that issue 1st before any train stuff.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: Burlington Route on March 13, 2013, 09:23:19 AM
It kind of got pushed off to the side...hit 2 snags,
Sorry to hear that, looking forward to hearing it was a blessing in disguise! Doors are now open for better things. Good luck to ya!
While not nice, Bachmann, or On30, its all I got Burlington to make you grin. Relax, take a look and read the forum.

Burlington Route

Thanks, I'm hangin in there...was refurbishing my old ZW today{I run O scale too}...speaking of which, I have that very same pre-merger Q gondola that you have....still funny to see cascade green on a Q car.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Yes my love for the old is a definite influence on my ability/failure, to not rivet count most times. Got any less than prototypical postwar to On30 conversion bashes to share? I think some of the short, cheap, mpc stuff, would make a decent start point for a low cost, custom, narrow gauge lash (rivet counting aside,detail can be added). Leaving me more cash for a good narrow gauge, On30 steamer loco to compliment my Og line. Especially important to me, when a blue and yellow Virginian rectifier is running around the mountains competing with it, the geared, external piston loco will still hold your attention via moving mechanicals, charm, and of course "smoke and steam". 

Burlington Route

Hmm, funny you should ask...I have this lil pile O stuff that wants to be something different in On30;
-HO scale rotary snow front piece{auger/housing/directional deflector}
-On30 long caboose or an On30 boxcar{long}...leaning towards the caboose.

...need to check my soon to be available ebay bucks...think a speaker could be had with that!{free is a wonderful thing and the wife can't complain}

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: Burlington Route on March 15, 2013, 06:09:42 PM
.leaning towards the caboose.
...need to check my soon to be available ebay bucks...think a speaker could be had with that!{free is a wonderful thing and the wife can't complain}
How about a leaning caboose? :D (Elephants work for peanuts, I do it for the "cheese", "corn", or "the pun of it" ;D)
Hey did you happen to check out the "whimsical" post I did in general disc. Large scale oriented but lots of bash ideas on the site I found.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,23133.msg182881.html#msg182881

Burlington Route

Yes I did....replied on your other post.
Now you got me eyeballing my lone S scale 4-4-2 for usablility in On30...the spare G scale pacific drivers would be waaaaay too big for anything in On30, even an 0-2-4.