EZ Track PROBLEMS with Turnouts and shorting out

Started by Trainz, December 29, 2012, 06:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainz

I purchased a new Spectrum Train Set with Dynamis and EZ track for Christmas.

We have set up our system and are having VERY LITTLE LUCK getting our trains around the track as they derail and or short out on almost ALL of the turnouts.  At first I though it must be the new locomotive but since testing all of my locos i can tell its the turnouts themselves.  We are running on a solid flat surface.

Whats so frustrating is the dollar amount Ive spent VS the quality of the product I have received.  The multilevel packaging that the entire set came out of would be next to impossible to get back together.  Sending it back to the Ebay store would be a real challenge.  I decided to call bachmann and they said that if they determined my purchase was valid with receipt then they could possibly send me new turnouts.

My question is... what will be different about the 4 new turnouts?  Has the design changed over the last few months where my trains won't derail and or short 90% of the time on the new ones?  I have my doubts.  I did lightly fie the points as suggested but Im not one to start majorly modifying new products that are supposed to give you enjoyment out of the box.  Trying to figure out what Ive bought here and what the best solution is to this since I have invested about $400 in this present.

thanks for any help.

Jerrys HO

Trainz

You will find that any manufacturers turnout you buy will possibly need some tweeking. You do not mention if they are numbered turnouts or standard one's. I run about 15 Bachmann turnouts with no problems. Not all needed tweeking but most did. I do not use the standard turnouts unless they are for a siding for show.
Take the time to make sure your track is level. Check the points where they meet the outer rail and make sure they are snug against it. (a little filing and bending will fix if they are not)
What type of loco's derail and what type are not derailing?
Make sure your diverging route is not forming a sharp s turn. (check out the post by jward on s turns) .

A little more info and/or pictures will help you get through this.

Jerry

Trainz

Hey Jerry, thanks for the reply.

I have checked all the points and lightly touched them with a file but still no luck with my locos.  One is a Spectrum 2-8-0 that was supplied with the track and turnouts.  One would think you wouldnt need to start modifying a track system that is supplied with the train.  Im willing to try anything if I think it will work and not void my warranty.

The other two trains are a much heavier and smooth running Mantua 4-6-2 and a Diesel Silver Streak.   

I do not have any sharp S turns that I know of... here is photo of the layout I am running.  Every turnout is giving me trouble by derailing or dcc turnouts shorting out.  We've been set up to run since Xmas day and have only made a couple successful runs around the track.  This was my sons big gift and the boy is losing his patience with it and I need to try and find a solution.  Just too much invested in this.
Thanks for any more help etc. 

Trainz

poliss

Check the back to back distance between the wheels. Should be 7.54 mm.

jward

you have no s curves. the plan should work well as shown.

what i suggest is that you keep a list of what derails where. you'll see patterns begin to emerge. work first to get one of your locomotives around the track without derailments, then adjust the track for the others. my guess is that the silver streak should run relatively derailment free, and the steamers derail.

are all your rail joints level, and the rails inserted in the joiners properly?  does the locomotive derail at the points or the frog? do you have an NMRA standards guage? if not get one and use it to checque the rails and wheelsets.

also, shine a bright light on the side of the locomotive as it moves slowly around the track. carefully observe the wheels for signs that the wheel flanges are climbing the rail. in some cases, the wheel flanges will actually ride the tops of the rail for some distance before dropping over the edge and derailing. find where the wheel climbs and you've most likely found the problem.

i can't say anything about the mantua pacific, but i have a mantua 0-6-0 which derails on straight track because the wheels are not level because of a defect in the frame. to correct the problem i'd have to completely disassemble the locomotive and mill the frame out so the axles sit level. maybe the pacific has the same problem?

hope this helps somewhat.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainz

thanks Guys

I didnt buy a tool to measure the wheels as I didnt know I needed to.  The company that sold me the set with track said it was ready to run out of the box.   Is what you're saying, I likely could have the wrong wheels on my locomotive?  If so why would they package it that way?  I'm not really one that is comfortable replacing wheels on new expensive locomotives so I hope that isnt the case.  For now Im just removing all the turnouts and going to go with a simple oval so the train can get some use.  It appears that the wheels hit a rough spot around the V area and jump off track. 

Maybe Bachmann has some advice, I feel sure they see these posts. 

Trainz

poliss

What I'm saying is that the wheels have either not been put on properly in the factory or they have moved later. You don't need to replace the wheels, but adjust them by pulling or pushing on them carefully to get them to the correct distance apart.

jward

most wheelsets are press fit onto the axles. as such they are sometimes out of spec. the same can be true of the track itself. these problems can be difficult to detect without a standards guage to measure them against. note that this isn't a Bachmann problem but one that affects items from all makes. in most cases, it's a minor problem you can fix yourself.

you still haven't told us if the problem is with specific locomotives everywhere, or with a specific location, or a combination of both. let us know exactly which locomotives are derailing where and maybe we can offer further insight.

that said, i can tell you that the silver streak is a very low quality older tyco engine, others have had problems with poor design in some of the mantua locomotives though i am not aware of any regarding the pacific. the spectrum should be a higher quality locomotive though
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainz

Quote from: poliss on January 01, 2013, 09:15:27 AM
What I'm saying is that the wheels have either not been put on properly in the factory or they have moved later. You don't need to replace the wheels, but adjust them by pulling or pushing on them carefully to get them to the correct distance apart.

Thanks for this info. Will look into this possible solution.

Trainz

Quote from: jward on January 01, 2013, 09:30:23 AM
most wheelsets are press fit onto the axles. as such they are sometimes out of spec. the same can be true of the track itself. these problems can be difficult to detect without a standards guage to measure them against. note that this isn't a Bachmann problem but one that affects items from all makes. in most cases, it's a minor problem you can fix yourself.

you still haven't told us if the problem is with specific locomotives everywhere, or with a specific location, or a combination of both. let us know exactly which locomotives are derailing where and maybe we can offer further insight.

that said, i can tell you that the silver streak is a very low quality older tyco engine, others have had problems with poor design in some of the mantua locomotives though i am not aware of any regarding the pacific. the spectrum should be a higher quality locomotive though

It's basically happening with the front wheels only.  Either on the locomotive or sometimes front wheel of tender.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, no constant pattern.

jward

does it derail when travelling in one direction, say clockwise, but not ythe other?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainz

Quote from: jward on January 01, 2013, 03:14:35 PM
does it derail when travelling in one direction, say clockwise, but not ythe other?

I've only ran in one direction moving counter clockwise.  Could it help me to run them the other way..  It looks like it usually derails once it hits the black plastic area at the v.  All my locos just run through these spots really rough including the Spectrum.

Mryan

Trainz

I had a similar problem with a new set I just recieved for Christmas. I had another post and got a great Idea from Jerry. Check to see if you have a hump on your gear cover. Once I filed this down a little I got instant results. Here is what Jerry said to me:

Myran

I believe your loco is hovering on the frog because the hump on the wheel cover is dragging on the frog. See this next post and scroll down to Jonathans pic.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,26153.0.html
Although this is for the 0-6-0 the 2-6-0 is the same .

Look closely at the pilot wheels and make sure they are not jumping the rails also, you may have to add a little weight to them.

Jerry

I hope this is a fix for you too. I know It was a real pain with a new Train not working.

Mark