Electronic circuits for trains

Started by richg, December 31, 2012, 11:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlington Route

They still use popsicle sticks for G scale lighting boards...cool!
I can see the 5v constant lighting circuit as being very usable, but it'd be better to use track power via truck pick-ups and a large a heatsink as one could use instead of battery power. In this day and age one can get a multitude of different voltage/color LEDs for rail car or building lighting but to use a low voltage starting point makes for better rail car lighting but that comes at a higher heat dissipation need when the voltage goes up...in HO/On30 that wouldn't be so bad but G scale does get higher. He's got alot of G scale projects there, but those can be downsized for smaller scales I'd bet.
For building lighting the use of 12v LEDs and a resistor, along with a bridge rectifier for those who run AC power, can be an easy way to go...they're long lasting and compact.

I haven't played with anything like this for eons - 555 timers for engine and caboose strobes, car constant lighting, IR sensors for action lights{crossings}....looks like I need to play again...thanks for the link!   

Doneldon

Rich-

I suppose I should thank you for supplying this post but right now I'm irritated with you. I just spent over an
hour going through several of the projects on this site. I'm not saying wasted because the articles are terrific
reading. But you sure helped me spend some time that my wife would have preferred be spent taking down
the Christmas tree.

Seriously, thank you for giving us this resource. Not only is it interesting reading, I will supply me with project
how-tos for a long time.

-- D

richg

Glad to help. Actually the site has been very close to us for a few weeks. The full URL was in the one I posted about using multimeter's. I just noticed the basic site and eliminated the part of the URL about the meter and I came up with his basic site. Still very curious all these years. Look at his site and you will see the one about multimeter's.

About using the meter.
http://www.trainelectronics.com/Meter_HF/index.htm

Made the below.
http://www.trainelectronics.com/

Then I noticed.
http://www.trainelectronics.com/articles.htm

Rich

jsmvmd

Dear Rich,

Fantastic site!  Thanks for the useful info.  As a PITT freshman many years ago I got to set up the Mr. Rogers show very late at night with some other students. Got to touch the trolley, which was a real hoot.

Happy New Year to all!

Jack in Altoona

Burlington Route

Quote from: Doneldon on December 31, 2012, 03:33:09 PM
Rich-

I suppose I should thank you for supplying this post but right now I'm irritated with you. I just spent over an
hour going through several of the projects on this site. I'm not saying wasted because the articles are terrific
reading. But you sure helped me spend some time that my wife would have preferred be spent taking down
the Christmas tree.

Serious, thank you for giving us this resource. Not only is it interesting reading, I will supply me with project
how-tos for a long time.

-- D

Yup, took me about the same time frame but I'm unhappy because the lazy susan layout vid wouldn't load for me...that looks interesting...the layout moves and the train stays still...really interesting idea.
My wife is the same way but my two kids say otherwise mostly because the boy doesn't want his tree train removed.
Seems nobody has the emoticon that gives the raspberries...that "tongue" one just isn't the same thing.... ;)