News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which chassis will fit 4-6-0

Started by davi844, January 01, 2013, 10:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davi844

Ihave an older 4-6-0 #31497 on box don't remember what year i purchased the engine and tender set.Would like to know which chassis with new drive would fit?

Loco Bill Canelos

That unit came out in 1992.  Any of the newer chassis will fit it. All the chassis made after 2000 have the version 5 chassis.

Big Hauler 4-6-0 Chassis Version Identification  by Bill Canelos                 
Copyright 2002, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2011 2012 2013 by Bill Canelos All rights reserved.               
Version 1  1988-1990  Battery Powered R/C Units                              
Version 2  1990-1994  Smooth Bottom Cover  You can turn drivers by hand and motor will turn                              
Version 3  1994-1998  Smooth Bottom Cover You cannot turn the drivers by hand                              
Version 4  1998-1999  Large wide hump dead center between the rear drivers on bottom cover                              
Version 5  2000-Pres  3/8th inch wide hump offset between the rear drivers and a plastic lubrication plug the size of a dime to the rear of the hump..                              
Version 6  2011-Pres  New Chassis for Annie only, has metal gears and new front truck identifiable only by the new front truck                              
Note that the dates overlap and as ofFeb 1, 2012 have not been fixed more precisely, but all new sets introduced in 1999 with the VHS instructions were version 5                              
The following sets released in late 1999 were Version 5 Chassis 90031, 90032, 90033, 90034, 90035 and 90037.                                 
All Big Hauler 4-6-0's manufactured after 2000 have the version 5 chassis, all new sets after 2000 have it as well.                              
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

wsommariva

Coincidentialy, I am in need of a chassis for my North Star Express 90041 that I bought in 2005.  In the parts catalog I could not find a chassis for 90041.  I sent Bachmann an e-mail for assistance.  I just need the 16 inch piece that has the cowcatcher attached.  No wheels needed.

Bill, can you tell me what part number I will need?

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi wsommariva, I wish I could, but sorry I cannot, because the numbers on the diagrams do not correlate to the actual parts, which is basically saying there are no part numbers that the parts department can understand. It is best to call parts rather then emailing and describe to them what you need and they will do their best to get you what you need, if it available.  Remember this is the busiest time of the year for them so be patient and be nice, they get enough unruly demanding phone calls and your friendly approach to them is appreciated.
I am thinking you have a 90051 NOT a 90041 which was sold at Sam's clubs in 2005. Sounds to me you want the cover that screws onto the bottom of the chassis.  If so tell them you have an Anniversary 4-6-0 and they will get you the correct cover.

If you decide to buy the whole chassis the one closest to what you have is CH-81095 for $50.  There were two different pilots, so at most all you would have to do is swap the pilots if necessary!

Hope this helps as it is the best I can do for now.

wsommariva

Bill you are absolutely correct.  I bought the set at Sam's club and I only need the cover.  The number on the box is 90041.  Will the 4-6-0 anniversary cover fit this unit also?

Loco Bill Canelos

Well I am confused about the number on your North Star Express Set. Every record I have of it shows the number of the set as being 90051 Rather than 90041.  Can you verify the number on the set box for me since I do not want to be giving out bad information!

Than ks

wsommariva

I checked the box again and it is indeed 90041.  That is a fact.  However I know I bought it on-line and THINK it was from Sam's club. 

I'll see if I can find my receipt.

wsommariva

Bill,

I found my receipt.  Bought from Sam's Club, on line for $136.24 12/2/2005.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hey wsommariva! 
I apologize for any confusion, of course you are right 90041 is correct.  I had one of my brain lapses and kept confusing it with something else.  Anyway any Annie 4-6-0 Chassis will fit except for the newest chassis called version 6 which has a new way of mounting the front truck.  Tell them you want the cover for the original Anniversary 4-6-0 with the old style front truck and you should be OK.

Bill

wsommariva

Thank you Bill.  That is what I will ask for.

BTW, visited a local museum yesterday.  They were gifted a 25 year old train setup that was used just three weeks a year!!  Must be 60 feet by 20 feet.  Very impressive.   

Dave

My Series 2 Big Hauler is in dire need of a new Drive Train. What is the best Chassis I can retrofit to it. It presently has Stephensons Motion but I prefer Walschaerts, if that is possible.
                  Dave
                    New Zealand

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Dave,

Take a look at this one and enlarge the picture.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4079

CH 81088 is what you want.  It will fit fine and has the latest version 5 chassis and all metal Walshearts valve gear.  Beautiful motion and so much better than the plastic version!!  At $50 US it is a good deal, not sure how bad a bite you will get on shipping down under.  The colors of the cylinders and steam chest and pilot may not match the colors on your current Version 2 loco though.

Bill

Dave

Thanks Bill, Have ordered the Chassis and its on its way.

Dave