News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My train set

Started by dipeedo, January 02, 2013, 01:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dipeedo

This is a  movie of the train runs I worked over the Dec 7 and 8th weekend.  I was in the caboose as Rear Brakeman.  Although there was only a little snow that weekend, the cars are all heated by wood stoves so are fairly warm.  I only got cold when I had to get out to throw switches and couple/uncouple cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYVzcHcsqDw&feature=youtu.be

jonathan

Your train set is very cool!  Makes me understand why the narrow gaugers are always begging for heislers.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Jonathan

Woody Elmore

Wow - any video that shows narrow gauge is great. Add to that a wood burner with a deep throated "steamboat" whistle. My only complaint is that it is too short!

Barney R

dipeedo

Part of my point in posting this is to jog some folks interest - my house is so small that we don't have room for a layout like we want, but we get our train-fix by volunteering on the "local" tourist railroad, the SVRY.  And, from what we've seen, anyone, anywhere in the country, can do the same, as there are MANY of these "tourist trains" that need volunteers.  If you look around you will probably find one within a couple hundred miles of where you live. They will train volunteers for the jobs they need and you will find yourself getting the hands-on time that helps fill the need.
The SVRY trained my wife and me the first year as Rear Brakemen, the next year as Head Brakemen, and from there we can get into Conductor and then to Firemen, and finally to Engineer. All this without any cost to us other than the cost of transportation to SVRY, about 60 miles from the house, and the time to do it.  We originally thought we would do coach repair work in the coach shop, and maybe work on the engines in the back shop, but we found we could actually ride the trains!

I may be 66 but I am the perfect kid - I get to ride a steam train and drive a fire engine - (we also volunteer for the local volunteer fire dept) !

You can too!

Johnson Bar Jeff

There is nothing quite like a steam locomotive in the snow.  :)

Why am I suddenly feeling the need to add a Heisler to my motive power roster?  :D

Doneldon

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on January 04, 2013, 11:16:04 AM
There is nothing quite like a steam locomotive in the snow.  :)

J-J:

CORRECTION: There is nothing like a steam locomotive anywhere.

-- D