Mom of a young beginner HO scale

Started by kenten96, December 31, 2012, 10:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenten96

I bought my son the Pacific Flyer Ho scale train set.  I have so many questions.  First, What is the difference between DC and DCC.  He wants to buy a turntable and is looking at the Bachman HO 46299 Motorized Turntable, DCC-Ready.  Also, does it have to have its own power, or will the power that come with the pacific flyer (item number 46605A) work with the turntable also.  I guess I will just start with that for now.  Thanks for any help you can give me. 

NarrowMinded

Dc you control the trains movement by  power applied to the tracks,

Dcc Digital command control there is always power on the track but movement and other functions like lights  are controlled by electronics in the locomotive that decode signals sent from the controller

NM-Jeff

TimR

Hi! The turntable will work with the Pacific Flyer set you have. The fact that it is DCC ready just means that if your son decides to get into DCC train control, it will accommodate DCC when he is ready. You will want to consider extra track for adding a turntable, but I'm sure your boy already has a track plan in mind.  :) Welcome to the hobby!

railroadfun

They Are All Right. Im sorta new to this also but ive decided to go to dcc and skip dc just for long term idea of it. With dcc you can control multiple locos on one track. You can also with dc but its a mess of wires. With Dcc its one wire to the track for power and your ready to roll. Im waiting on a reply of either a Bachman Ez Command or A Bachman ez command dynamis. Im Working on extending as the years pass so im probably gonna end up with the dynamis. Im working on a two track mainline with four turnouts connecting the two. Its quite something just gotta figure out which controler to get. Go to Dcc Systems in General Descussion Started By railroadfun whitn is me haha. There you may find out about the reply. If Not there as soon as I find it i will come here and tell you. Its good to keep in touch with other people about this stuff. Helps you know what you want.
BRETT

railroadfun

Well they said the dynamis
The Other one is extreamly limited and is old school
BRETT