DD40AX Model Stopped, would not run, lights work,

Started by vonlocomotive, January 03, 2013, 12:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vonlocomotive

I have two DD40AX locos and one stopped running.  It was running when it just stopped.  I am using DC so I have to switch power between different blocks to run more than one loco.  It is possible it got power from two different blocks as it transited the insulated joint between the blocks.  This has happened before and it stopped also, but after the fuse reset it worked fine. 

What can I do?  I guess I could send it to you, but I am somewhat knowledgeable of electronics and if it needs a new fuse I could probably change it.  I noticed you have a new board with decoder for $55, but I don't need a decoder.  Another possibility is to jumper the fuse or jumper in another fuse. 

Bach-man: need help, Thanks, vonlocomotive

Joe Satnik

Dear VL,

Lift up one truck, see if the lights still work.

Set it down and lift up the other truck, see if the lights still work. 

Let us know the results. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

GSXR1000

I have a few N Scale DD40AX Locos that did the same thing, it's taken me some time to get to dealing with it, with mine the rear motor seams to have poor connection which stops the front motor because the decoder goes into a protection mode because it senses that the rear motor has shorted out so the lights work but that's it.  I was able to spin the motor and it came back to life.

Hope this helps