News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Systems

Started by railroadfun, January 03, 2013, 04:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techwizard

Quote from: Doneldon on January 03, 2013, 11:46:49 PM

I think that the EZ Command and MRC DCC systems are the only ones which operate DC locos. I'll be corrected if I'm mistaken about
that. This isn't necessarily a huge advantage, however, as you need to be very careful when running DC equipment on DCC or you'll fry

Digitrax also supports analogue running, though it is not advisable to do so. Best to bite the bullet and convert all locos than trying to run decoderless ones on DCC.

robert sylvester

I know this subject has approached more than once. I have a USRA 2-10-2, Bachman loco, brand new with DCC. I took it out of the box, plugged the plugs put it on my DC layout and it just sat there. I have checked the plugs, and the tender trucks. It is brand new from Train World, it had no manual of operation to tell me what to do.
Robert Sylvester, WTRR

Jerrys HO

Robert
It is best to start a new post than highjack another. You will get more results that way.

Jerry

richg

Quote from: Jerrys HO on January 14, 2013, 05:43:03 PM
Robert
It is best to start a new post than highjack another. You will get more results that way.

Jerry

And use the HO scale forum.

Rich

railroadfun

This is a question thats maybe unusual or different.IDK.
So lets say you have the dynamis on your home layout and you have two locos programed on 1 and 2. (like me)
Well i just became a member of a model railroad club where i live and just before i had the privalage of going to their layout and the main operator give me a full tour of the layout. But at the time i didnt have my locos with me so i ran one of his. Now he is running dcc but it is a digitrax system. So now ima take my locos over there and run them. On his system will they still be programed to #`s 1 & 2 or will they reset to three or will they be cancled out by locos that are that on his system or exactly how does that work. And when i get them back home do i have to reprogram them or what.
Could someone please explain thoughroly as they can PLEASE  ???
BRETT

railroadfun

Hunt,
Thank you very much for your info yet strangly the guy at the culb loves me and what i do and would probably change his adresses for me haha.
BRETT

jward

just a suggestion.....

most of us who are using a full dcc system like the dynamis or digitrax use the locomotive number as its address. that way it is easy to remember what the address is, and it is intuitive for another person to run that locomotive as well. the ez commznd only supports 10 addresses but the dynamis should be able to use any address up to and including 9999.

a good example of somebody else using another's locomotive would be on a club operating night where trains are put together in the yard by the "yardmaster" and dispatched to another "crew" who takes the train over the road.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

railroadfun

How would one clean track on ho scale using abrasive inside a tunnel
BRETT

jward

did you leave yourself an access hole inside the tunnel? it is easy to do this either through the baseboard, or through the backside of the mountain. if you can't reach in to clean track, how are you going to retrieve a derailed car or locomotive?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

railroadfun

Its at my club layout and we have a long stick that if there is a derailed car lor loco we jst push it out but the problem is we cant figure out how to clean it
BRETT

Doneldon

RR Fun-

A tunnel more than a foot long without access isn't a good idea at all. However, if you have such a thing, you'll need to use a liquid track cleaning car, an electronic track cleaning car or a home-made track cleaning car which rubs a piece of Masonite or such like along the railhead. This will be less effective on curves at it won't dress the inner faces of the railheads where a lot of electrical contact occurs on curves.

Be careful of using abrasives on your track. In the long run, it can do more harm than good. It will not only prematurely age your track, it will leave microscopic scratches which may cause sparking, with its incumbent carbon deposition, and serve as a place for dirt to accumulate.

-- D

railroadfun

i have some sound equipped decoders i got from a friend and was wondering dow to install it in a bachman "ho" dcc equipped gp30 loco.Heres some info on the loco so someone can research it if needed=item No.60814, santa fe #3229. Please help  ???
BRETT

jward

I am familiar with the gp30.  there is not a lot of room in there for a speaker. you'll have to take it apart and cut away the frame halves somewhere to make a place for the speaker.

may i suggest a gp7 or gp9 asz aan easier install? they have a place for a speaker in the fuel  tank.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

railroadfun

i opened my gp30 up but there was no place to plug the decoder in.
BRETT

Jerrys HO

Brett

Your decoder is built in to the circuit board, There is no place to plug in a sound decoder.
You will have to replace the decoder board with one that comes with sound or hard wire a sound decoder in. The latter should be possible as I have never done one. Others may know better.
I would replace the board with one from Soundtraxx. I believe without checking they have one that replaces yours.

Jerry