News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann On30 Future

Started by rk_dave, January 04, 2013, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rk_dave

I was at my LHS yesterday, and found that other than a few ventilated boxcars and two locomotives, they had no Bachmann On30 in stock.  I was hoping to find some undecorated box cars, but was told those have been on back order for months.  Sure enough when I search this site on-line, there are no undecorated boxcars shown.

Is Bachmann exiting the On30 market?

richg

That is an assumption on your part. I just looked at The Favorite Spot and they have the unlettered 18" boxcars in stock.
$65.92 pkg 2

Rich

richg

Micro Mark has them also. $65.95 pkg 2
You should have looked at the New Shorty Wagons thread right nearby.

Rich

mabloodhound

Many local hobby shops don't carry much On30 as it has limited sales compared to HO.   Check on line and get them there.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Bucksco

On30 is still going strong. When a retailer is low on stock it does not necissarly mean that a particular item or product line has been discontinued - it probably means that the retailer hasn't ordered any lately.

Royce Wilson

I think On30 is here to stay!..Bachmann has showed a commitment by the recent entry of the 18' freight cars and don't forget that a international market has it's own set of problems.
We are still waiting for that Heisler.
Royce

TimR

"We are still waiting for that Heisler."

Amen, brother. Amen.

CNE Runner

It is my contention that, without the involvement of Bachmann Trains, there would be very little progress in On30. Bachmann produces outstanding products and will, undoubtedly, serve as a driving force in this new facet of model railroading.

I recently purchased my first On30 equipment: the Davenport Gas-Mechanical and a ventilated boxcar. Both of these products are well made...the Davenport (after a run-in) performs like a fine watch. If you would like to dive deeper 'in the pool', check out the offerings at Boulder Valley Models [http://www.bouldervalleymodels.com/ I can't wait to convert one of Bachmann's fine 70-Ton locomotives into the Boulder Valley critter.

All this is possible thanks to Bachmann Trains. I have no doubt that their On30 equipment will be as noteworthy as their HO line (the GE 45-Ton is a jewel).

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Burlington Route

I'd like to see the On30 davenport return and maybe another type of gas or diesel rendition of sorts....go ahead and bring out that heisler, but think heavily about a 3 or 4 truck shay too...at least a 3 truck!
Next...hey, why not...add some snow clearing devices- flanger/plow/rotary/jorden - and some more revenue cars....

...RK-D, search the web and/or ebay....ebay model trains has it's own class for us - "On30" and it's thick with bachmann goodies...I also second the good experiences with ebay seller "the favorite spot", I bought a pair of the new shorty boxcars just before Christmas and received them just afterwards. I posted a few pics of them in the "shorty wagon" thread.

Royce Wilson

Go to Backwoods minatures models website and check out the Camel back conversion for the Bachmann 2-6-0 mogul..This is great!..it will look great hauling the new 18' cars and one of Keith Weiseman steel outside brace 17' boxcar. this just gave me the boost I needed.

Royce

railexpert

Hello,

I suggest every engaged On30-modeler to read the "Narrow gauge and short Line Gazette" www.ngslgazette.com and the "On30 Narrow gauge Annual" www.on30annual.com . Both are specialized for Narrow Gauge in prototype and model. There you can find locos and rolling stock for On30 from different manufacturers, kits and ready to run. And these are not few.

Also if you search in the internet, you will see that On30 is a powerful growing range under the leadership of Bachmann.

Railexpert  ;)

CNE Runner

I second Railexpert's suggestion that anyone interested in On30 purchase a copy of the On30 Annual. I have read the print off my copy of the 2012 issue; and have ordered the 2013. Within its pages, you will get to see the 'best of the best' - and the inspiration provided makes the purchase price well worth spending.

Like HO before it, On30 is a vast subject that you can go into as deeply as you wish. One can simply purchase RTR locomotives and rolling stock - and run same on standard HO track. Another avenue is to run those RTR items on On30 track (the scale changes from HO...not the gauge). Others may prefer to build all their rolling stock and run it on handlaid track components...the choice is yours. Trust me, there is a lot of room in between.

Unless you already have a layout, or are a bit experienced in model railroading, I would advise building a small shelf layout (something like 2' x 6') as a test bed and learning exercise. May I refer you to Carl Arendt's excellent mini/small layout website for track plan ideas? http://www.carendt.com/

In any event, I wish you years of enjoyment with your trains.
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Biglars

Quote from: CNE Runner on January 06, 2013, 11:13:11 AM
I second Railexpert's suggestion that anyone interested in On30 purchase a copy of the On30 Annual. I have read the print off my copy of the 2012 issue; and have ordered the 2013. Within its pages, you will get to see the 'best of the best' - and the inspiration provided makes the purchase price well worth
Ray

There are several of the published on30 annual contributors posting here. http://www.railroad-line.com/

Under the on30 topics. And also active micro construction threads.

rk_dave

Thank you for the clarification, Yardmaster.  I'm going to contact Caboose Hobbies and find out why they don't have your 27099 Boxcar on order, or even on their website.

railtwister

Quote from: Yardmaster on January 04, 2013, 11:59:37 AM
On30 is still going strong. When a retailer is low on stock it does not necissarly mean that a particular item or product line has been discontinued - it probably means that the retailer hasn't ordered any lately.

Since the question specifically mentioned boxcars (27099), I checked with Walthers and they show it not as simply out of stock, but as "Discontinued". Then I checked the Bachmann products list, and while the directory listed the Boxcar category as having 15 items, only one page came up, showing 6 ventilated cars and only two commemorative boxcars with special paint. No other boxcars were even listed, none with typical railroad roadnames, nor undecorated either. Since the Bachmann site itself doesn't even show the standard boxcars any more, have they been discontinued like Walthers says (and like the Davenport switchers which also disappeared from the Bachmann website sometime before it was announced that they had been discontinued)?

Bill in FtL