News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann On30 Future

Started by rk_dave, January 04, 2013, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamish K

Some observations. Sometime ago I raised the question here of the future of On30 and received an assurance that Bachmann remained committed to On30. Since then Bachmann have announced a number of new On30 items and delivered most of them (the exception being the Heisler). So I have no reason to doubt that Bachmann remains committed to On30. Tooling for a whole new range of freight cars is clear evidence of this.

It is true that some local hobby shops, including mine, have ceased stocking On30. Current economic conditions, and internet sales, have caused my local hobby shop, and no doubt others, to concentrate on their best selling ranges only. This trend is likely to continue.

I expect that a number of existing On30 items will cease to be available over the next few years. New items are essential to keep interest in the scale high and no manufacturer can afford. or has the capacity, to keep all of an expanding range in production all of the time. Bachmann, and other train manufacturers, manufacture in batches, a run of a particular item is made, and then that production line used for a different item.  An item may be rerun if there is sufficient demand. It is inevitable that some items will not be rerun in order to provide capacity to make new items.

I am confident that Bachmann On30 will continue, but expect the range to gradually change. In what directions, I have no idea. The Bachmann. or Yardmaster, might like to can comment on the future availability of the standard box cars.

Hamish

Burlington Route

My only LHS is either Hobby Lobby or Hobbytown USA...neither of which carry much though HTusa carries HO but will never wind up carrying anything in On30...luckily I have the internet{or I wouldn't be here!-lol}

rk_dave

Hamish, I believe there is a difference between folks interested in standard gauge HO and On30.  In HO, the product offerings do change and people who model HO Standard gauge are ok with that.

People in narrow gauge tend to model a certain line or locale.  I bought the shay and other loco's to model rocky mountain logging. I didn't expect that Bachmann would stop production of certain narrow gauge rolling stock in favor of other equipment.

Fortunately, there are other manufacturers who understand the narrow gauge modeling scene and continue to supply rolling stock - perhaps with different numbers (which is good), but still basically the same equipment.

There are undoubtedly people who are happy now with the 18' equipment who will not be so happy when Bachmann "moves on."

Hamish K

r_dave

I agree that many narrow gauge modellers model a particular line or theme, and may want particular models to continue in production. I was observing, not advocating. The problem as i see it is that Bachmann has  many demands on them to make new models, as this board shows. They do not have the capacity to keep everything in production and also make new models. Something has to give, and some people will be unhappy. I do not know their intentions for rolling stock, and I would like to see both the new 18 foot and the older rolling stock continue in the future. Whether this will happen I do not know. I believe that they do understand the narrow gauge modelling scene, but it is not possible to make everything all of  the time.

Hamish

railtwister

Guys,

This still doesn't answer the question of whether or not the original 25' boxcar has gone the way of the Davenport, has it been discontinued as the Walthers website openly states and the Bachmann site seems to indicate? I suppose if it were in the process of being retooled (perhaps with a right-hand sliding door this time), that could explain it, but it seems like a boxcar (not just an 18 footer) is a necessity for On30.

Bill in FtL

ScottyB

I asked this same question a while ago:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,20020.0.html

I've bought all the 27099 unlettered boxcars I can find, and have a grand total of 3. The new shorty ones are neat and all, but my layout is built for the bigger engines, and I just don't envision them looking quite right behind a 4-6-0.  :-\

Thus the dilemma for Bachmann. A lot of On30ers like the smaller, quaint items that will fit in a small layout. Then you have people like me that have a decent space and just want something bigger than HO.

Considering most layout articles I see in the Gazette and On30 Annual are more "scenery showpieces" than "operational" layouts, I'm thinking I'm in the minority.

I haven't had a chance to see the "other manufacturer's" boxcars in person, but they are not priced much different than Bachmann's offerings, so I might have to go that route. Not the cheapest way, but they at least exist. (I recall the days of $12 freight cars at St Aubin's - unfortunately it was before I was "sold" on On30!)

Here's hoping Bachmann reintroduces the most important (and common) freight car!  ;)

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

CNE Runner

I think narrow gauge modeling presents some interesting problems to the manufacturing sector. In standard HO scale, one can run a plethora of rolling stock -  as ones layout is merely a segment of the 'outside world'. Narrow gauge railroads, on the other hand, do not (usually) connect to any other road. This means that the modeler will tend to run only one railroad's marque (his own in many cases).

Secondly the number of car types is quite limited...when compared to standard gauge. With a few exceptions, rolling stock is limited to the most basic AAR Classification Codes. Again, a limitation on the number/variety of new products.

Lastly, On30 seems to remain the perview of the craftsman ('flip through an issue of the On30 Annual). Yes, Bachmann locomotives and rolling stock are well represented...albeit kitbashed and detailed. I, myself, intend to build all my rolling stock from craftsman kits and will detail my Bachmann Davenport. I am not suggesting that On30 is only for the experienced craftsman...there is plenty of room for everyone.

I guess what I am trying to point out is that the market isn't anywhere as large as HO...and never will be. While others would love to see more in the way of larger steam/diesel locomotives; I would like to see more 'critters'. [Mr. Bach Man, since the demise of your excellent Davenport...could we possibly consider production of a Plymouth WDT?] We all have our 'wish lists' don't we? Bachmann (and others) are trying their best to make a profit is a very difficult market.

Respectfully,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Royce Wilson

How about a 45ton critter like the one in Fn3 that has fly cranks.

Royce

Dusten Barefoot

The 8-18c/d 4-4-0/2-6-0 still sounds like a nice idea.

Rock On!
~Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Skarloey Railway

Quote from: Dusten Barefoot on January 11, 2013, 08:27:54 PM

Rock On!
~Dusten

agreed.
logging and mainline rrs ran them and they ran from the 1870s to the 1940s, with modifications. Everyone should be able to justify one of them on their layout.

Hamish K

Quote from: Skarloey Railway on January 13, 2013, 08:15:22 AM

Rock On!
~Dusten

agreed.
logging and mainline rrs ran them and they ran from the 1870s to the 1940s, with modifications. Everyone should be able to justify one of them on their layout.

Not if you regard your line as 30 inch gauge, nothing very close to the 8-18c/d seems to have run on a 30 inch gauge line anywhere in the world. Bachman's existing OF ON30 4-4-0's a typical 30 inch gauge 4-4-0.

This highlights the problem for Bachmann in choosing prototypes for On30, On30 modellers are very diverse, modelling 3 foot, 30 inch and 2 foot gauge lines (and probably others) as well as different types of layouts. No single model will suit everyone.

Hamish

mmiller

Quote from: Hamish K on January 13, 2013, 08:49:08 AM
Quote from: Skarloey Railway on January 13, 2013, 08:15:22 AM

Rock On!
~Dusten

agreed.

Not if you regard your line as 30 inch gauge, nothing very close to the 8-18c/d seems to have run on a 30 inch gauge line anywhere in the world. Bachman's existing OF ON30 4-4-0's a typical 30 inch gauge 4-4-0.

Hamish

how about this then: the 8-18c/d 4-4-0/2-6-0 would fit in on the VAST majority North American narrow gauge railroads between the 1870's and 1940's?...and I suspect that this being the Bachmann USA website most modelers here fall into that category

nothing against those that want quirky/funky/dinky/odd On30 loco's, but how about something for those of use that want common/standard locos?...maybe even something else ran in Colorado  :o
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

azflyer2001

I agree with Mike. My vote would be for this 2-8-0 that operated on the Death Valley Railroad.

http://www.virtualtransportationmuseum.com/gallery2/v/mining/nonmetalic/borax/HOLG-10.jpg.html

Travis Handschug
Tempe AZ.

Royce Wilson

Porter made catalog small locomotives in various wheel arangements and with tenders also and in any gauge you wanted to include 30" .Think of the 2-6-0 Porter mogul it would be about the same size as the Bachmann IF 4-4-0.

Royce

Mister Lee

I expect that On30 does have a brighter future than some scales. The guys who thought up the line did come up with an agreeable size that does fit non-rail things like Department 56 Christmas villages and some dollhouse/miniaturist activities.

I suspect that a lot of future On30 activity might be more international than US or Canadian. IMO, British and European narrow-gaugers have not been well-served, and I wouldn't be surprised if Bachmann might come out with stuff for the German and Austrian narrow gauge markets, and also for the sorts of locomotives built for the former British and former French empires' colonies.

Maerklin and Fleischmann didn't do much for the potential German/Austrian/whatever narrow gauge market, and I suspect that the doors might still be open for a lower-cost line of locomotives and rolling stock by somebody else.