News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

C19's - sound systems

Started by peterbunce, January 04, 2013, 11:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterbunce

Hi,

The new C19 - can I fit a voltage sensing sound system - I am in England where they use the voltage sensing system to regulate the chuff's?

Yours Peter Bunce

Kevin Strong

What do you mean by "voltage sensing?" If you mean a sound board that bases the chuff rate on the motor voltage, then the PC board in the tender has solder pads which you can use to feed the motor voltage to the sound board.

Later,

K

bob kaplan

If we wish to use the optical contacts in the cylinders, can leads from the sound board be attached to the PC board in the tender without additional electronics.
  Thanks you.

StanAmes

Quote from: bob kaplan on January 05, 2013, 11:51:35 AM
If we wish to use the optical contacts in the cylinders, can leads from the sound board be attached to the PC board in the tender without additional electronics.
  Thanks you.

Bob

No additional electronics are needed to connect sound systems to the C-19.  In most case a single wire connection between the sound board chuff input to the C-19s chuff output.  In a few cases the sound boards chuff ground may also have to be connected to the C-19 ground.

Hope that helps.

Stan

bob kaplan

Kevin Strong

Quote from: StanAmes on January 08, 2013, 08:00:21 AMIn most case a single wire connection between the sound board chuff input to the C-19s chuff output.  In a few cases the sound boards chuff ground may also have to be connected to the C-19 ground.

Stan, which solder tab on the board would that be? I've noticed with the Revolution installed, you've got to jumper the B+ and ground to the rail (battery) inputs to send voltage forward to the locomotive for lights, etc. I would presume the optical chuff sensors to also need this power feed.

Later,

K

StanAmes

Quote from: Kevin Strong on January 11, 2013, 12:55:11 AM
Quote from: StanAmes on January 08, 2013, 08:00:21 AMIn most case a single wire connection between the sound board chuff input to the C-19s chuff output.  In a few cases the sound boards chuff ground may also have to be connected to the C-19 ground.

Stan, which solder tab on the board would that be? I've noticed with the Revolution installed, you've got to jumper the B+ and ground to the rail (battery) inputs to send voltage forward to the locomotive for lights, etc. I would presume the optical chuff sensors to also need this power feed.

Later,

K

Kevin

All of the Bachmann locomotives that have the expanded socket need for power to come through the socket.  This power is used to power the fans, the lighting, the smoke, and the chuff.

Most devices that plug into the socket (including the dummy board that comes with the locomotive) have a rectifier built in.  This rectifier powers these locomotive devices.

Unfortunately I do not believe the Aristocraft unit has this rectifier built in and therefore requires the locomotive's + and -to be separately powered either through the battery or through a user installed rectifier.  All other devices in the market that plug into the socket have the needed rectifier built in.

Once you have power to the locomotive the chuff sensors will work and you simply hook up the chuff output on the side of the board labeled "chuff sensor" to the chuff input on the sound board.

Hope that helps.

Stan