News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steam or diesel?

Started by sctrainguy, August 13, 2007, 11:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sctrainguy

yes Hello to all,
I am a huge steam locomotive fan, but in the past have been forced to use diesel locos.  in the hobby shop where I live there seems to be more diesels than there are Steamers. 
there are 2 locos I am looking for but cannot find, the first one is the 80-tom shay, made by bachman, and I am looking for a longer more elegant looking steam loco something like a 4-8-4 or even a 4-10-4.  is there a webiste that has these?
oh to be more specific the 4-8-4 or the 4-10-4 I would like in Union Pacific if possable
any idea where I can locate these?

Jay

I have run in to a similar issue.  I model the Rock Island, both diesel and steam.  But I wanted to add a large steam engine to the fleet.  Currently I have a 2-6-0 mogul and a 2-8-0 Consolidation.  I am searching for a 2-10-2 for Rock Island or a model closely resembling it.
Jay Johnson
The Roundhouse
www.trainweb.org/theroundhouse

GN.2-6-8-0

Don't believe there was such a animal as a 4-10-4...there was several roads that ran 4-10-2s.
Even so i think they are only available on the brass market.
Rocky Lives

Jake

^Or maybe a 2-10-4, but Ive never heard of a 4-10-4.
And try bachmann's online catalog. http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

SteamGene

SCtrainguy,
Go look at Broadway Limited and Athearn.  Or check Bachmann for their 4-8-2 USRA heavy or their 2-6-6-2 USRA light.  Or Hornby for the 2-6-6-6.   
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

pdlethbridge

I read at steamlocomotive.com that the pennsy had 4-10-4s the 4-4-6-4- and the 4-6-4-4 the ten drivers were on the same frame

SteamGene

I read at steamlocomotive.com that the pennsy had 4-10-4s the 4-4-6-4- and the 4-6-4-4 the ten drivers were on the same frame

Not the same thing as they had two sets of cylinders.  They were, like the 4-4-4-4, non-articulated.  But does that make the 4-4-4-4 a 4-8-4? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lanny

If you are looking for big steam of any kind be sure you have a layout with large enough radius to support your large steam (i.e., 4-8-2s, 2-8-4s, 4-8-4s and on up the ladder ... (4-10-4? ... that would be a 'rare' one even for UP ... I don't think they had that though they did have a 4-12-2 I think).

No matter what mfgs may advertise ... the larger locomotives need large radius curves to look and work well. My personal suggestion is that if you are planning on getting into 4-8-4s and larger, you should probably use a min. 28" radius track (even though some will run on 22" and maybe a few even on 18" ... but they will look really strange nd may not be totally reliable going into and through those curves)

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

r.cprmier

Lanny's point is well taken.  It is better to have a layout that functions than a layout full of "dream machines" that isn't worth a tinkerer's hoot.
If all you can muster is small radius curves, then do it with engines that will work both reliably and convincingly on it.  Collect those engines if you want, but for operation, just plan on that which works.  You will be happier.
Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!