News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ez command versus dianamis

Started by Mr. C, January 07, 2013, 09:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. C

I am looking for a dcc command unit that will run both dc and dcc including all the sounds in those dcc engines.
Will the dianamis system do this?

jward

i don't think dynamis will run dc. ez command will, but it is of such limited capability with no upgrade path that i think you.d be better off looking at something else. i know for a fact that the digitrax zephyr will run dc, but has the capabilities of a full dcc system. other systems may do this as well.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

poliss

It is possible, but not recommended, to run DC locos with some DCC systems. To do so can burn out the motors in the locos, especially when the loco is not moving.

Doneldon

Mr. C-

There are a few DCC systems which will run DC locos but they do so with some peril to the DC loco. That's because DCC has continuous higher voltage than a DC system which can heat and overheat your motor. You must either remove the DC loco every time you aren't actually using it or send it to a track to which you can cut the power. IMHO, it isn't worth the hassle.

Some folks have both DC and DCC systems on their pikes with a selector switch. Of course, that means everything runs the same direction and speed unless the pike is broken into conventional blocks. All of that snazzy wiring defeats one of the main advantages of DCC: simple wiring. A person with a functioning DC block layout can easily add DCC option since the wiring will work for either. But that's a lot different than having to start from scratch with block wiring.

-- D

jward

"simple" wiring may be one of the selling points of dcc for the beginner, but in practice many of us will find we need some form of block control, if only to keep the entire railroad from shutting down if something shorts out.

the true advantage of dcc  comes from being able to program your locomotives to do what you want, run the speeds you want, and for our locomotives to run together perfectly. to do this you need a system capable of doing the necessary programming. ez command won't do this. dynamis and just bout everything else on the market, will.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

TimR

I agree with the others. The Dynamis will NOT run a DC loco, but the E-Z Command will. (I have both) I did not like the way the E-Z Command ran a DC loco however. The buzzing sound from the frequency of the power on the rail just didn't seem healthy for the loco. I therefore would not recommend running a DC loco on the E-Z Command system even though you technically "can". Your results and thoughts may vary.

I would just add that another bonus of DCC operation is the smooth, slow running that is possible with DCC. Much better that even a high end DC throttle in my opinion.