Help for someone new to DCC & Sound

Started by pbram, January 05, 2013, 09:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbram

Hi, I have been collecting HO trains for a long time, but I just noticed the DCC and Sound engines.  Really Cool.
My question is this.   
For someone that has only old style trains.  What do I need to get to run sound? What do I need to run DCC.  I kinda understand that I have to get a DCC controller and that the DCC powers the track all the time and the DCC tells the engine what to do. But what do I need.     There are so many different systems that I have seen so far and I am just slightly confused.
   Is it a separate controller for sound?   or what? 
If I bought a Bachmann engine that says DCC on board. will it work with my old system?   
  Can you have a engine with sound with out DCC?
I have been trying to research some of this on line with not a lot of luck.  I went to my local Hobby store Hobby Town USA. The person that was to be the one to talk to about Trains, was a snotty twerp.  said well we don't keep those trains in stock cause they are to expensive but I can order you what ever you want.  I looked at him and said well that's the thing, I am new at this and not sure what I want or what I need.  I just got a blank stare in return.
So I figured that I would ask here and see what gives.

Can you add DCC & sound to an older engine? 

I guess I just have to many questions.

Please Help Thanks
patrick

NarrowMinded

There are a lot of opinions on DCC systems,

I use Ez-Commands mostly but bought a Dynamis system so I could program the decoders to my liking, the EZ-command just operates Very basic functions

The dcc sound locos offered by Bachmann have Dual mode decoders, this means they WILL work on your current DC layout both sound and lights will come on, some features are or can be programmed (With a capable controller such as the Dynamis) to operate automatically depending on how you twist the throttle, such as slowing at a crossing will sound the horn or whistle.

The controller controls the sound

Others will also chime in here with their advice.

for deals on loco's and great service I go to www.thefavoritespot.com
their search engine is a little rough but they have mostly Bachmann items you just have to look around the site.

NM-Jeff

richg

Since you are new to this, take you time reading all the links. There is a lot to DCC trains and the hobby is continually evolving.
Store all links you find in Favorites. You will need them.
Some locos can be converted to DCC and sound. Some will require a lot of work.

Below is a link to look though which is mostly about the SoundTraxx sound decoders.

http://www.mrdccu.com/curriculum/soundtraxx/tsunami.htm

There are other brands of sound decoders, some cheaper, less features, some more expensive. Stay away from MRC decoders.
Some decoders, you can upload your own sounds with the programmer for that brand.
You can use computer control also. Store CV list in your PC in case the decoder has to be reset. Happens quite often.
Speakers and speaker baffles are another issue.

The Internet is loaded with all kinds of info, forums, opinions about different DCC systems..There is enough info to really confuse new people.

Rich

pbram

Thank You both for your reply and the info.  I keep looking and learning a little more at a time. 
I think it looks a little more expensive than what I have to play with at the moment, so I have time to
try and learn a little more. 
  I actually went the thefavoritespot wearhouse.  Wow they have a lot of stuff. and Super Nice Folks.
The owner was not there the day that I went. But one of his crew gave me a Bachmann train catalog.
And let me look around.  Like I said Super nice folks.  I will for sure go back. 

So another question. what brand do you guys like best as far as the aftermarket sound systems or boards?
I guess that most of the boards and speakers and such are made to fit certain engines or makes, like a
Bachmann Union Pacific dd140 or a different engine?  I guess I need to figure out what engines I have that I could add the stuff to
or just get one already to go first.
  I will find out more about the controllers and etc...

Thanks Again
Patrick

richg

There are many variables when it comes to DCC. Different brands and I can only comment on Bachmann products and SoundTraxx Tsunami decoders as that is the brand that Bachmann uses.
I and many others us the Tsunami. The link is below and there is a lot there. Look at the decoder selector option. Sound decoders and speakers are spelled out for some Bachmann locos.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/

Rich

fm_tx

Patrick

You are on the right track.  Take your time and figure out what works for YOU.  There are a lot of options, all with different features.  There is no simple, "right" answer, but an answer that is right for you.  It may not be the "right" answer for everybody.

I use Soundtraxx Tsunami decoders too.  I prefer the aftermarket decoders to the OEM ones, but it is hard to resist a good deal on a locomotive already equipped with the OEM sound!  I miss the equalizer in the OEM versions because it allows you to "tune" the speaker for the specific installation.

I live near TheFavoriteSpot and have been there many times...  It is pretty impressive, especially just after they have received a shipment from Bachmann and the shelves are full!  As you noticed, they are nice folks.

Virtually all of the DCC vendors (trains, decoders, command stations, etc.) have their manuals online.  Spend some time reading them...follow this and other forums...and take your time.  It seems confusing at first, but it will start to make sense soon enough.  Most of all, have fun!

Paul

Doneldon

Patrick-

There's something to be said for getting an RTR loco with DCC and sound already installed as a first step into DCC. It will allow you
to establish a realistic base level of expected performance and probably help you identify features which you especially like or don't
really care for. This will be useful experience as you start doing your own DCC installations and purchasing DCC components in the
future.

-- D

LVRR

Hello: 

One year ago I purchased the Bachmann EZ DCC with the included DCC equipped locomotive from the Favorite Spot and have been completely happy with it. I have a large HO layout with about 300 feet of track, the EZ system will run three trains of maybe 6 cars or so without any speed drop, even up some non-scale hills. We have had four locos going and it did fine but I like to stick to three.

I put sound in one diesel and that is the main drawback for the EZ. The sound in the decoder is steam and cannot be changed by the EZ. So I put the decoder in an IHC steamer, that was a challenge, and it works fine.  So If you buy an  EZ for $70.00 or $80.00 that includes an engine you can't go wrong. If you don't like the DCC you could sell it and get your money back and still keep the loco which will run on regular DC.

Steve