News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Peco double slip switch question

Started by tomcat623, August 13, 2007, 06:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat623

Would anyone know how to take the spring out of a peco double slip switch? I want to put tortoise switch machines on it but the tension is too high. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

ebtbob

Good Evening,

I use Peco turnouts throughout my HO and On30 railroads.   Wherever I have put a Tourtoise switch machine in place,  instead of removing the point springs,  I simply use a heavier wire than the one that comes with the switch machine.  I like to keep that spring tension on those points even though the Tourtoise will be keeping pressure on the points.
       I am sorry that I did not answer your question,  but maybe you may consider leaving the spring in place.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Hunt

I don’t currently have access to a Peco Double Slip turnout but I, as others, do remove the spring from the Peco regular turnout when they are used with a Tortoise Switch Machine. Suggest you contact Tony’s Train Exchange about the how-to spring removal from a Peco Double Slip.

Note to Bob Rule - FYI
Click http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/tortoise/tort-with-peco.htm. Note the last two sentences in the link. This may not address an issue now, or ever, on your layout.

ebtbob

Hunt,

Thanks for the heads up.   I only have two wires coming off my Tourtoise machines and they are the ones to throw the points.   Unlike many people,  usiing the electrofrog Peco turnouts,  I have found absolutely no reason to do any special wiring at the frogs and I  only insulate the two rails that meet at the frog.  I can run any of my HO or On30 engines,  regardless of wheel base length with no stalling or shorting problems.

Thanks again,
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

tomcat623

Thanks for the help gentlemen,
I finally figured it out, there is a tiny slot centered between the rails that holds the spring in place, I used the smallest flat screwdriver I had and pushed down and away from  the center at a forty five degree angle and pushed the spring out the bottom. I did this with the switch already laid because I did not want to go to the trouble of removing it. It seems to work well.
Thanks again,
Tom

grandpuff

That is exactly what I have done on over 60 Peco switches with Tortoise machines on my layout. It is very easy to do and the spring is still there if you want to use it later with a stiffer wire.

Grandpuff
Grandpuff