News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Best way to mount E-Z track to layout board

Started by RMT, August 21, 2007, 12:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMT

Very basic question but I'm new to N scale.   I want to mount E-Z track to layout board.  I notice that the track has holes but the grey plastic underbed does not.  Do you nail through the plastic or drill?  What's the best way of mounting?

conradin

Nail it through.  No need to drill. There should be three holes, one in the middle, the other two on each end.

Jake

You could also use Liquid nails for projects on the track connecters.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

nscaler711

I'd say use Cualk....it might be easier on you and on top of that if you ever want to add or remove track it is relatively easy to pry up.
PVT Austin
MO Army National Guard
91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Train Nutz

Hi RMT,
   All ways already described will work to mount your track but I also have a different method that works too. Gluing scenic material right up to your trackwork will also hold it into place. I've done this way using Kato Unitrak with great success. My layout is built on top of 2" foam board with the scenic material glued down with Woodland Scenics  scenic cement. This is simular to adding water to Elmer's glue. Just place your scenic material were you want it. Wet it down with 70 percent rubbing alcohol. (This breaks the serface tension of the glue and allows it to soak in. Without it, the glue will not flow well into the scenic material and in some cases will cause it to float away). When everything drys, the scenic material and the track are glue into place.  If track ever becomes nessisary to be remove, all you have to do is score along the sides of it with a sharp hobby knife and it comes up easy.  What ever method you decide to mount your track with just make sure you got any kinks and problem areas worked out first. It's best to do some test running first to make sure everything is working fine and no derailments. If you decide to nail your track down you might want to get a nail set and a drill bit the size of the track nails used  (Don't nail threw it). the nail set is like a center punch but the head of it is concaved to accept the nail head. This will allow you to nail between the rails without accidently hitting the track with a hammer if you nail without a nail set.  You can find these at most hardware stores and I would suggest taking a track nail with you to match up with a nail set that would work best with it. Also, when nailing your track, just nail the head to were it just barely touches the track. If you over nail it, it might distort  the track causing the rails to go out of gauge giving you big headaches with derailments that you didn't have before you nailed the track down.  Just take your time & don't rush and do a clean job of it.
Train Nutzzzzzzzzzz